Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub to the rescue!

Sunday was my nephews 1st communion, my sister was hosting a party. She recruited my wife and I to skip service and go to her house to put lunch together. She had made BBQ pulled beef in the white square thing in her kitchen the day prior to serve as the main part of lunch. My wife, had the insight that I should come prepared with a supply of rubs to see if I could "work some magic" to improve her meal. I arrived to find a stock pot with 8 lbs of pulled beef drowned in a vinegar and ketchup sauce. After heating the stock pot on med low, I took a taste - not expecting much, and my expectations where not even met. It was Bad, couldn't taste the meat, just vinegar & ketchup. So I drained off all the liquid and put the meat in a large crock pot, then covered the meat in a liberal coating  of Steven Raichlens basic BBQ rub from my stock which I brought along.  Mixed the rub in, and left the crock pot on "Keep warm" for another half hour before the meal. When the guests walked in, everyone commented on how good it smelled. My sister immediately took a sample from the crock pot, and was all pleased with herself for how it turned out - obviously she never tasted it the night before. After she noticed it wasn't swimming in liquid and she took another taste, she looked at me and asked me what I did to her beef to make it taste so good. Home mixed quality BBQ rub to the rescue! Next party she has, I think I will be catering from the BGE.

Comments

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    There would be hell to pay if someone came into my house/kitchen and messed with my food without permission.
  • @chrisnjenn The fact that you have a BGE and are on this forum indicates you know good eats, and how to prepare them. My sister has no skills when it comes to the kitchen. I would never mess with food from someone who I know can cook. She had given me open liberty to her kitchen, I had assumed consent. She proceeded to tell her company about my cooking, and gave me credit for saving her meal - it was all good !

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I understand. Glad it worked out for you guys. Pulled beef, if done right, is decent from a crock pot. Prefer it on the Egg, but crock pot is not half bad.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    We all get spoiled using the Egg all the time! I don't mind pulled pork from the crock pot either, but when I eat it you can just taste it is missing that grilled taste. In my opinion it tastes a little bland without it being cooked on the Egg or at least a grill!

Happy to see you saved the meal!!