Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Baking Steel" LBGE size

Now that Fletcherfam has the ball rolling, I am sure many of us are going to help out.

I am still not clear on this question tho..... What is the best size for a LBGE?  I know some are using 16", but I worry about airflow issues??  Have to have it in just the right place, etc..? 

My BGE stone, (which I once thought was the only way to bake pizza) is the 14", which does seem a little small considering available space.

I do like the 16" real estate, esp. considering it does not change the price at all, but I am wondering about going with 15" to be safe. 

Any other input?

Comments

• I'm going to piggyback on your thread and ask what the best size is for a MBGE. Sizing info would really help.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here is a 16" Primo stone on a large.  As you can see there is more than enough room for air flow.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Firemedic183 The stone that CGS sells for the medium is 10 inches but I would bet you could go up to 13 inches as long as you are cooking close to felt level.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    @BOWHUNR. That picture looks like our stone is pretty close to the felt line. Do you think it would still be fine raised a few inches above in the dome?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Same question on XL does everyone agree on 21 inch? I think this deal is super awesome for an XL owner and awesome for everyone else.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

@Firemedic183 The stone that CGS sells for the medium is 10 inches but I would bet you could go up to 13 inches as long as you are cooking close to felt level.

Definitely 13". I have a 12" for my now defunct medium and could have certainly gone with an extra inch in diameter.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Stealing @jimreed777's post from the other thread. This has convinced me to get the 16 for my large.

"I am thinking 14" for medium and 16" for large. I use the 16" pizza stone in my large on the rig extender now...so it is way up in the dome. I used to cook pizza on my 14" BGE stone in my medium quite high in the dome."
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario