Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NanoQ question - help

Options
I have 4 butts on a Large and am using a NanoQ.  I have the unit set to 250 and the lower vent adapter closed half way.  My dome temp shows just over 300 and the NanoQ fan kicks on and off every 5 seconds or so just for a puff or two.  I have only used the NanoQ once before and set it to 250 and the dome temp was pinned at 250.  Any thoughts?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I would say you have placed the probe in a hot spot or touching the grill??  If it is "puffing" on and off, the unit is doing it's job trying to control 250 degrees what it's probe is sensing.  And 300 isn't going to really hurt the butt all that much.  Lower the setpoint 50 degrees and see if it lowers the dome probe temperature.  If so, i would split the difference and raise it up to 275 and let it cook !  Good Luck and enjoy the pork --  you know it will be good !
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    How long has the cook been going? I recently started measuring grid temp with a Maverick, and have noticed that as a long cook with a ton of meat proceeds the dome and grid temp will get closer and closer. 

So, if you have recently started, the discrepancy may solve itself. 

If the cook has been going on for 10 hours already, then I your egg with the Nano works differently than my manual model--but as Charlie said, 300F is nothing to worry about. I'd follow his advice and try reducing the temp a bit if you are worried, though.