Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket....

Options
It has been a very long time since I last prepared a brisket so I have a few questions for everyone:

1. Does it freeze well? I've read other posts on here that suggest it does not freeze as well as pulled pork.

2. I cook to an internal temp of 195 degrees right? I plan on cooking at 225 degrees until I hit the right internal temp.

Thanks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options

Don't know how it freezes vs pork but that's not a deal breaker in my book.

Finish on a brisket-packer or flat-go til you can insert a probe in and out of the thickest part of the flat w/o much resistance.  Start checking around 190*F but they can go to the low 200's.  225*F on a calibrated dome is low for your cook.  Most BGE's have a sweet spot somewhere around 250 on the dome.  BTW-your dome will generally run around 20-40*F hotter than the coooking grid on an indirect cook when you start out.  Gap closes up the longer the dome is shut.  Expect around 2hrs/# at 250 on the dome.  Plan long and FTC (foil, towel and cooler) if finished early.

Here are some great links-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Very Helpful Lou! Thanks!

Let me ask this, is it necessary to cook the  brisket in a foil cake pan? I plan on cooking on a raised grid using the AR and ensuring it is cooking indirect.

• Royal Coachmen
    Options
    One more thing I thought of, if I decide to cook this in the morning (it's a 7lb brisket) I guessitmate I could be ready to pull it by 5-6 pm if I put in on around 7 a.m. Of course I cook to temperature...so in the event it is not on the time frame I need, will wrapping in foil speed up the cook that much?

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    No need to put in foil pan and yes wrapping in foil (Texas Crutch) will speed it up. If need to speed up you can bump up temp too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Couple of things to consider-you need to make sure the BGE is stabilized before you load up the brisket and that can easily take upwards of an hour or more-so you will start earlier or eat later.  Don't chase dome temp-if it's 240-290 it's good.  Google Texas Crutch as mentioned by Chubbs (Augusta/Masters scoreboard eggspert) to see the method to cut down the cook time but I would plan long and not rush it.  Sounds like you have a flat and if you want to go with a modified braise method, search for the BGE World famous Travis method-"how I do it" for another approach.  Search function here is very weak but use google and add big green egg to your query and you will find it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options
    I usually smoke my brisket about 5 hours on the egg starting it at 6:00 am. At the five hour mark I wrap in foil and finish it in my oven. I need my Egg to make wings/ABTs for apps and BBQ Baked beans to serve with the brisket. We usually eat around 5 or 6.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"