Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hogs for the Cause - NOLA

Options
So I mentioned participating in a Hog cook off NOLA in another thread and wanted to post some pictures. It is a hog cook off and music festival. My team made (1) bao (steamed buns) filled with veal stock braised pork cheeks, pickled pig's tongue, pickled veggies, cilantro, mint and topped with fresh fried thin sliced pig's ear, (2) smoked pork shoulder pot pies with a mango chutney (3) dark cherry or praline snoballs topped with candied bacon and bacon infused dulce de lece (4) whole smoked Berkshire hog (5) ribs and (6) pulled pork. The whole hog was too large to cook on an egg, so we used a large offset. The egg did not make the trip as I was fearful for transport and I have not had enough practice on it to use in a competition. I will hopefully use the egg next year for the judge's ribs. My team is mostly all new to BBQ with less than a year's experience, but we placed 2nd out of 85 teams for our "tongue in cheek" bao dish in the porkpourri category. It was an awesome event and a lot of fun.
"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Looks good to me, congrats!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    You had quite the menu! It all sounds really good. Congratulations on 2nd place! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    Thanks. We participated last year and it was the impetus to me getting an egg and starting to learn BBQ. Last year we deep fried our whole hog entry. Hopefully next year I will be able to bring the egg out there to compete in ribs and maybe shoulder.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Dude, that's a damn impressive menu...  I love how you fused various local fares into the cooks.  For anyone that doesn't know the city,  we have a large Vietnamese population here.

Now I really regret going....
    Options
    daham
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow... Just wow! Mighty fine menu and presentation. And then the pic of the deep fried hog... Amazing. Congrats on your win -it sounds well deserved.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.