Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ginding meat for bugers/meatloaf

We want to try grinding some meat for hamburgers and meatloaf later in the week.  Wasn't much at the grocery store so we got ~2lb brisket flat , ~4 lbs of chuck.  Does this sound like a good mixture?  Do I need anything more?  Anything to add to the meat as we are grinding?

When grinding I am going to make ~1 inch cubes of the meat.  Should I alternate the meat as its being ground?  Example is 2 cubes of chuck for 1 cube of brisket then repeat?  Or do all chuck then all brisket then hand mix them?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Have you considered grinding some pork with it??  I would get everything cubed, then mix the cubes -- then grind it all together.  You really don't want to overmix it .
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    thought about pork did not see much but can stop at another store today - what kind and how much?

Garnerville, NY
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Grab a little shoulder. Nice amount of fat in them. Fat = juicy burger.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • robnybbq
    add 2lbs to my mix?

Garnerville, NY
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    Buy a pork butt, cut off a couple of pounds for grinding, and cook yourself up some pulled pork with the balance of the pork butt -- you might throw the rest in the garbage !! :))
  • robnybbq
    ok cool.  Thanks.

Garnerville, NY
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I have been told short ribs and chuck are really good. Not sure what ratios.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• robnybbq
    Ok. This is a must. No more store bought ground beef.

2 lbs brisket
    2 lbs pork shoulder
    4 lbs chuck beef

Made burgers last night. Nothing added to the meat. Cooked 400-425 raised direct. WIN! Juicy and tender. Probably the best burger I ever cooked.

Meatloaf tommorow night.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I've blended brisket and bottom round roast with good success. Or, if you want to go really crazy, use the brisket point for he fat content and mix it with any lean roast. Most amazing burgers I've ever had.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Charlie tuna
    We have some burger joints around here that do one heck of a business -- like this place "Bev's Burgers" a drive up only hole in the wall.  There is a line around this building from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM every day they are open!  The burgers are not super "BIG" !   They are served with lettice and tomato??  The rolls are nothing special, but fresh?  It's ALL about the beef!!!  They make their own burgers, by grinding their own combination of pork and beef !
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    robnybbq said:
    Ok. This is a must. No more store bought ground beef. 2 lbs brisket 2 lbs pork shoulder 4 lbs chuck beef Made burgers last night. Nothing added to the meat. Cooked 400-425 raised direct. WIN! Juicy and tender. Probably the best burger I ever cooked. Meatloaf tommorow night.
    this chuck beef that you used....are you talking like a chuck roast? excuse my retard self :)
    Brandon, MS
  • robnybbq
    It could have been.  They did not have any so they had cubed chuck beef (for stew I believe).  Saved me time on chopping up the meat. 

Garnerville, NY