Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poke butt experiment question

I want to try various styles of pork butt at the same time to see if I like one over the other (specifically injected, rub, and no rub). I am afraid if I cook three butts, that the troops (my wife and various familial visitors) will begin to complain that they are tired of so much pork. Has anyone ever cut one but into three pieces to try each piece a different way? Anyone think this is a horrible idea and an abomination to Eggdom?
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    I don't think that's a bad idea at all.. Would certainly save money.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You can cut a large one down or buy some smaller butts. It's be fine. They sale 4 lbs butts

XLBGE 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I wouldn't cut one into three pieces because each part of the pork butt has different texture and fat content, IMO. 

I've cooked butts differently in the same cook for side by side testing, I think a lot of folks have.  Pork butt holds for a long time vac wrapped in the freezer, you'll eat it. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Thinking back over the years before i had an egg and cooked on weber kettle cookers and offset wood cookers and comparing that product to my last three years cooking on an egg is not comparible.  Not comparible in taste AND consistancy.  Before my Egg days, there would be many times when i had standout success, but also many "so - so" cooks, good, but not outstanding!  The Egg changed all that !!  I probably cooked a hundred butts through the "low and slow" method during the first year.  Of course there was a price for these "low and slow" successful cooks.  All night cooks, and the inconsistancy in the way different butts cooked, always added a question to finish times, and if i would have enough fuel,etc..  Then came someone telling me they could cook butts in half the time without sacrificing the end result -- great tasting pork!!  This method was called "turbo cooking"!  I invested in a butt, and it made a believer out of me!  Turbo Cooking is basically a method where you start the cook at a low temperature and at this same time, exposing the butt to a maximum amount of smoke until you reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees(minimum).  At that point, the butt is wrapped in foil and placed back on the grill until it reached a finish internal temperature, which happens fast due to the foil.  This method increases the consistancy of turning out great tasting butts, and in half the time.    
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Poke butt experimentation? Watch out, you may be in for a shocker.... :-O
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I've split boneless ones lengthwise before. Used half for traditional pp and half for a sweet and spicy version we like I usually use about 5-7 pound butts so it makes for a fairly quick cook
  • I've heard about that kind of experimentation goes on in college (go bama). No direct knowledge here, but thats what I heard.
    Flint, Michigan