Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just found my BGE's leftovers new best friend....

Sookie
Sookie Posts: 335
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum

Over the weekend we made some chicken breast pounded thin, stuffed with ham and gouda, (secured with toothpicks) and wrapped in a slice of bacon.  We made a couple extra since we were firing it up anyway and it's just me and the husband.  I decided to vacuum seal the extras with the Foodsaver.  I microwaved one of them today for lunch; just put the bag unopened in the microwave. 

The result was the juiciest piece of leftover chicken i've ever had. I shared it with my co-worker since it was way more than I needed for lunch, and the dude smiled as he chewed.    We haven't been without a Foodsaver for years since we buy a lot of bulk and package our own quantities, and we camp a lot so its always good to throw in the cooler and not get waterlogged.  This was totally a win though because now I can cook stuff on the weekend and have it not dry out in the fridge to have a few days later.  Just sharin :)

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I still need to get one, what model do you have and would you recommend it or suggest a different one if you had to buy all over again?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Sookie

We have a V3835, and it works great.  This is actually our 2nd.  The first one just stopped sealing as well as it should.  I don't recall what model it is but we do keep it in our camper just in case. 

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealer-SmartSeal-Technology/dp/B001E42R8O

Our "must-have" accessory on it though is probably the cannisters.  We do skirt steaks in them with some mole and other mexican spices, and serve sliced thin with onion, tomato, tortillas etc to make some great Carne Asada :) 

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T02-0052-01-4-Quart-2-Quart-Canister/dp/B00005Q4OD/ref=pd_sim_k_7

Not sure of a different model, this one works pretty well.  The bags are not cheap but we get them in bigger packages from Sams.  Hope this helps :)

• Sookie
    Clarification: This is our 2nd foodsaver, not the same model.  And 2nd clarification, we do marinade those skirt steaks overnight. 
  • Solson005
    Thanks, I know I want one but haven't compared any models yet and I would be interested in the marinade function as well. So this one will probably be the one I go with! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Sookie
    Just like the egg I think it is a great investment.  You can take advantage of meat sales or do Sams/Costco like we do.  I will go buy a whole ribeye and have them cut it for me; same with chops.  I like the bone-in's (i think it gives it more flavor) and then we vacuum seal.  We always have something in the freezer we can pull out and have a great meal.   
  • Solson005
    They just opened up a US Foods Chef Store that has all that bulk meat and I will definitely shop there when I get a food saver. I hate wasting food and this would help.
  • You know I always wanted a  vacuum sealer. Also a meat slicer. 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Vacuum Sealer and meat slicer are on my wish list :)  Not sure if it's on my wife's but is on mine :)
    Large BGE

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I second this I got the Costco model its like 150 plus you get a ton of bags. I buy a lot of specials portion it out and freeze them. We are eating better for less because you can maximize sales and bulk buying.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    My must have item I have just discovered for the foodsaver is a wide mouth jar sealer

You can buy mason jar for peanuts and I much prefer glass to plastic for storage. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    The wife found a deal through Amazon for a V3880 around  $139 so we bit the bullet. Works really well and since there is just the two of us we can take advantage of two fer one sales at the grocery and buy butts and ribs from Sam'a Club and freeze what we don't Egg. One of the things we've noticed is no ice forming on anything we freeze. Great investment !!!  

Opelika, Alabama
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    We've used them for years. My experience with the marinate feature (depending on model), is that it's designed to be used with their "quick marinator" accessory. Hook up the accessory hose to the unit and the accessory and hit marinate. It draws and holds a vacuum for a specified amount of time, then releases the vacuum, then repeats the process for I think a total of three times. We don't use ours. I personally haven't figured out the perfect solution to using wet marinades with the seal bags. Pretty much a manual seal eyeballing it. I want to try doing a soft freeze on the marinade before sealing with the meat or whatever, haven't tried that yet.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • +1 on the food saver, not quite sure which model, but it works like a charm.  Also +1 on buying the rolls for bags at Sam's. We've got us enough to last quite awhile even with me always making the bags bigger than necessary.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014