Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The BEST charcoal ?

124»

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    dlk7 said:
    Terrible experience with Humphrey's Lump Charcoal.  I ordered four, forty pound bags from the Humphrey website $24.95 per bag and $52 to ship it to Franklin, TN.  All four bags were filled with very small pieces and dust.  I built a sifter with one inch chicken wire to save any pieces that wouldn't clog up my eggs.  Out of the 160 pounds of charcoal they shipped, only 80 pounds was usable.  I called their customer service line 3 times and left messages twice with no call back.  Worst customer service ever.  I would never order from Humphrey's ever again.  You may be ok if you can feel the bag you are buying but I wouldn't trust them to send you decent lump sight unseen.  Too bad because the half that was usable burns hot and has very little ash.  The Wicked Good I get from Ace is always a good size and burns just as good as Humphreys with no hassle.  Too bad Humphrey's doesn't care about customer service.
    I just ordered from Humphreys again and I received (2) 20lb bags instead of the big 40lb bag. No big deal except I seem to have a ton of small pieces in the bags. However, it does get hot. I was looking for 325 and it jumped to 400 and took forever to get back down. 

My previous orders from Humphreys looked more like Wicked Good. This is much smaller. I'll just get WG from now on. Much more consistent. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    My favorite is Ozark Oak.....it's getting rather pricy though.  I pay $10.99 for a 10lb bag in Plano, TX.  I've tried Whole Foods house brand 365...something like $5.95 for an 8.5lb bag.  For the price, it's very good.
    Fairview, Texas
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    nemo said:
    My favorite is Ozark Oak.....it's getting rather pricy though.  I pay $10.99 for a 10lb bag in Plano, TX.  I've tried Whole Foods house brand 365...something like $5.95 for an 8.5lb bag.  For the price, it's very good.
    Good to know. I'll give it a go. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited March 2013
    LDR said:

All I've used has been Ozark Oak, and I've yet to find any trash in it.  I've been happy with it, and it's hard for me to want to try something else since I can get it at 5.29 a bag (whenever HenApple hasn't come through town and wiped out the supply!) 

Bragger.   :D

BTW this must be the most repeated topic in this forum.  And I'm guilty of starting one too.  And I still like reading everyones opinion.  Even if the old opinions are only 10 days old.  B-)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    dlk7 said:

Terrible experience with Humphrey's Lump Charcoal.  I ordered four, forty pound bags from the Humphrey website $24.95 per bag and $52 to ship it to Franklin, TN.  All four bags were filled with very small pieces and dust.  I built a sifter with one inch chicken wire to save any pieces that wouldn't clog up my eggs.  Out of the 160 pounds of charcoal they shipped, only 80 pounds was usable.  I called their customer service line 3 times and left messages twice with no call back.  Worst customer service ever.  I would never order from Humphrey's ever again.  You may be ok if you can feel the bag you are buying but I wouldn't trust them to send you decent lump sight unseen.  Too bad because the half that was usable burns hot and has very little ash.  The Wicked Good I get from Ace is always a good size and burns just as good as Humphreys with no hassle.  Too bad Humphrey's doesn't care about customer service.

I'll be working in cool springs Monday morning...i can bring you a bag of Ozark to try if you'd like...just pm me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Came across a metal band in my BGE brand tonight, don't like finding that kind of junk in my charcoal.

Wow what a coincidence, I just found a metal band in my lump yesterday, but it was royal oak from Walmart not BGE brand. What the hell is going on with these?

Do not worry about these bands.  They are part of the kiln process.  All the scraps are banded together, then loaded in the kilns.  After 7-10 days of heat, or when the loader pulls the charcoal out, these straps often snap.  99% of the time they are pulled out of the load like a ribbon, but sometimes they break into smaller peices..  No big deal, just throw it away.

Charcoal comes from trees, and all kinds of objects get lodged, nailed, or grown into 50+ y/o trees.  Barb wire fencing, chicken wire, nails, bullets, arrowheads, rocks, etc.  The tree often forms a knot around object, so that's not a desirable piece for lumber--thus it goes in the kiln.  You wouldn't believe the amount of metal that gets sorted out in the bagging process.  Some of it is still inside of the charcoal chunks though--you'll see it in the ash.

None of this gets eaten, so don't worry about it.  Now, if you start finding floor scrap, molding scrap, plastic, dead mice, cigarette butts--it's cause for concern.  There shouldn't be anything like that in the bag after the kilning process, and there shouldn't be anything that will give off fumes.  A rock or some metal wire/banding does not give off fumes, nor hurt the BGE.  Just throw it away and hope for an arrowhead next time.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    henapple said:
    I'll be working in cool springs Monday morning...i can bring you a bag of Ozark to try if you'd like...just pm me.
    Thanks for the offer Henapple - I have 6 ten pound bags of Ozark Oak.  I like it but have never been able to get it for $.50 per pound. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Tonight was my virgin voyage with RO and I was impressed. I had clean smoke within 15mins of lighting the fire starters I have always used BGE and was paying $22 for 20lbs and I found RO for $6.86 for a 8.8lb bag. Now that I know I like it I will use my amazon prime to order the big bags and get free shipping

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Just got my WG delivered to my local ACE.  Sad thing is the ACE already had it in stock.  I should have called I guess.  Can't wait to try it out.  
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @mb99zz, when did you order the WG to be shipped to Ace? I've been using BGE lump and want to try something new (since it's so expensive) and when I went to Ace.com over the last couple of days I can no longer find the WG listed on their website. I've seen it there before, but it looks like it's been removed. Anyone know anything about this? 

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I use Wicked Good for long slow and low cooks but for my Mini, Ozark Oak is perfect for high and fast. I can get Ozark Oak in the Houston area now @ $12.99 a bag.....Henapple, I should have taken your offer at Salado.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Hey @mb99zz, when did you order the WG to be shipped to Ace? I've been using BGE lump and want to try something new (since it's so expensive) and when I went to Ace.com over the last couple of days I can no longer find the WG listed on their website. I've seen it there before, but it looks like it's been removed. Anyone know anything about this? 

Cheers -
    B_B

@Black_Badger I just ordered some last week & picked it up Wednesday - read your report so I took a look - Yep its gone! Luckly I have 12 bags -- looks like a lot of stores are now carrying in the store so maybe you can give them a call & get lucky.  I also noticed Cowboy is selling for under $9 for a 20lbs bag -- must be a misprint @ that price  (I am not convinced its worth it though!!!)
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

Cheers -
    B_B

@Black_Badger I just ordered some last week & picked it up Wednesday - read your report so I took a look - Yep its gone! Luckly I have 12 bags -- looks like a lot of stores are now carrying in the store so maybe you can give them a call & get lucky.  I also noticed Cowboy is selling for under $9 for a 20lbs bag -- must be a misprint @ that price  (I am not convinced its worth it though!!!)
    i would burn it at $9 for 20.  its a craps shoot but if you use it you get used to it, i have ran 20+hrs on my large no issue.  of course there is better but i will use the savings for meat, the real money side of things.
  • Hey @mb99zz, when did you order the WG to be shipped to Ace? I've been using BGE lump and want to try something new (since it's so expensive) and when I went to Ace.com over the last couple of days I can no longer find the WG listed on their website. I've seen it there before, but it looks like it's been removed. Anyone know anything about this? 

Cheers -
    B_B

That sucks!  I just ordered 2 bags and picked them up this past Thursday; I hope they start carrying in the stores locally otherwise I'll have to drive over to Lakeland to get my supply.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    You don't have to order online. Go into your local Ace Hardware and just tell them you want to order the SKU #8322786 and they can get it on their weekly order from their Distribution center. Retail should be in the low $20 range, maybe less. 

Cheers -
    B_B

That sucks!  I just ordered 2 bags and picked them up this past Thursday; I hope they start carrying in the stores locally otherwise I'll have to drive over to Lakeland to get my supply.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I get a bag of Kroger lump about ever other time I shop there. They always seem to carry only 1 or 2 bags at a time. Happy with it vs. Royal Oak. RO had a few uncharted pieces that would catch fire and smoke. very little of that I. The Kroger lump.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Springram - Where are you finding the Wicked Good? The last few times I went to the ACE on Spring Cypress they had none.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    RAC said:
    Springram - Where are you finding the Wicked Good? The last few times I went to the ACE on Spring Cypress they had none.
    You don't have to order online. Go into your local Ace Hardware and just tell them you want to order the SKU #8322786 and they can get it on their weekly order from their Distribution center. Retail should be in the low $20 range, maybe less. Many Ace stores don't stock it, but they can all get it. If they can get enough sales going, ask them to start stocking it. 
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.