Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digiq worth it?

Options
I have been checking out the forum for a while finally joined. Looking at the digiq but wanting some info from current owners. Is it truly worth it? Seems like it would be great on long smokes to be able to sleep. Also is there any need in getting another thermometer like a thermapen or the maverick 732? Am I just as well to buy the maverick since it has the dome/grate reading?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Digiq is great for long cooks.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I really only use mine on long or very sensitive cooks. That said, I wouldn't be without it. The thermapen is an absolute must. It is far more valuable than any other temp device. I also like to have a second therm for long cooks just in case there is calibration issue. I use the thermapen as the arbiter of any discrepancies. So, just keep the items on your birthday/Christmas list.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I bought mine as a necessity because i was cooking "low and slows" all the time.  But now i learnt about turbo cooking -- no more overnight cooks!!!  But i still use it enough to make it worth while, a thermopen is a necessity -- you need to KNOW(really know) what is happening inside your meat!!!  Everything MUST be cooked to temperature  --  without the thermopen i would only be guessing!!  The thermopen takes the guess work out of knowing when my cook is finished and the DigiQ allows me to turn my back and walk away from my cooking for hours when necessary.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I love my digiq dx2. But thermapen is a must. I would look into a cyber q instead of digiq. They have smart phone functionality and are wifi.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    I had read where the cyberq was kind of hard to set up with the phone. I dont really see myself leaving it alone for long periods of time.

Charlie what exactly do you do on a turbo cook of a butt?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have a system and cook my butts turbo style, no more stress of overnight cooking for me!!  And it is consistantly excellent!!   I inject my butts, put maximum smoke for two hours, wrap them in foil at 160 degrees internal, then cooked to 210 degrees.  Great product every time!!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I use my digiq a few times per month and love it.  It is not at all neccessary but I never lose any sleep worrying about an overnight cook.  Even going turbo, I can do some errands or go to Home Depot for a few hours and have never gone off temp.  As everyone else says - a thermapen is an absolute must have.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I use my DigiQ for anything over an hour except for pizza cooks and love it. I just have that and a thermapen and don't need a maverick. The CyberQ has come a long way and seems fairly easy to setup by looking at the Naked Whiz Cyber Q review and is really easy to use on your home network and only has a few steps that you have to do to your router to work while your away. You need to have power close by or run a extension cord ( I have power on my pergola) just something to think about. 

They have a beta version of a app for the iPhone and I think droid already has one but I don't, so it might not be out yet. I would get one now but since my digiQ works fine I'll probably wait till the next version. I am interested in the CyberQ II which is the same but allows for dual pits. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Love the digiq for the peace of mind it provides. I can be sleeping, at work, or running errands and I know the temp won't fluctuate. The thermapen is a must for any cook. I also have the maverick because I can monitor the meat or the pit anywhere in the house.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • jbajor
    jbajor Posts: 17
    Options
    CyberQ wifi is the best investment I have made!! Sleep (and marriage) saver!!! Unreal how tight it holds the temp!!
  • chicagomike
    Options
    jbajor said:
    CyberQ wifi is the best investment I have made!! Sleep (and marriage) saver!!! Unreal how tight it holds the temp!!
    I found this to be really funny...I asked my wonderful bride of 11 years for her input on the "sunday dinner" and her only response was "nothing on the egg, I don't care what you make as long as it isn't on the f'n egg". 

:)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @chicagomike that's gotta suck, I don't think I've had anything out of any other cooking method that rivals what I can make on the Egg. Hoping you were being sarcastic.
    :-S
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

jbajor said:

I found this to be really funny...I asked my wonderful bride of 11 years for her input on the "sunday dinner" and her only response was "nothing on the egg, I don't care what you make as long as it isn't on the f'n egg". 

:)

Man, why would she say that? My wife went from cooking almost everything except steak, burgers, chicken, to cooking almost nothing now that I cook every night on egg.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    My wife is disappointed if supper ins't coming from the egg.  She is a very good cook.  But since i bought the egg -- she doesn't cook 5 percent of the suppers.  I always have my meals planned three days in advance, and mainly on sale item foods.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Perhaps she is tired of smoke? Sadly, my wife taste for smokey food was turned off by the current pregnancy. She won't do anything but BBQ. It's high heat or else right now.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Perhaps she is tired of smoke? Sadly, my wife taste for smokey food was turned off by the current pregnancy. She won't do anything but BBQ. It's high heat or else right now.
    I was/am in the same boat Eggcelsior!  My wife was about 4 weeks pregnant when I got my Egg this past July at our local Eggfest.  She went and loved all the foods and was looking forward to me promising I could make all the stuff there.  She had been hesitant with me spending that much on a 'grill'.  Then a couple of weeks later the morning sickness started kicking in, bad!  Everything I made was 'too smokey' or 'too much like charcoal', 'why doesn't it taste like at the eggfest?'.  A few of my early cooks and still learning about getting a clear smoke, didn't help either, and after that, just me coming in and smelling of smoke was too much.  Needless to say, egging has taken a backseat lately.  

I'll try modifying my cooks, have some WGWW and will hold off on a wood for smoking and see if that helps.  Plus Baby Girl should be arriving this Friday or Saturday!!!  

As for the original thread, I will probably get a diqiq or equivalent.  Going back and forth between bare bones Auber or full geeked out CyberQwifi.  My first and last overnighter, I kept chasing temperatures and the Maverick beeping would end up waking up my wife (not good!).  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ah, pregnancy and hypersensitive scent and taste. I normally go through 3-4 outfits and 2 showers when smoking just to be allowed in the house. Gag-city, baby!
  • NoDak1959
    NoDak1959 Posts: 45
    Options
    Got a Cyber Q for Christmas and it's great, holds temps very well. With the ability to watch the pit and food temps on my laptop it really is nice to get a full nights sleep. As for the Thermo pen it's a definite must have. Never made steak or chicken so moist because you know exactly the internal temp.
  • chicagomike
    Options
    Man, why would she say that? My wife went from cooking almost everything except steak, burgers, chicken, to cooking almost nothing now that I cook every night on egg.
    Yup, she is prego. Plus it might have something to do with the fact that I spend a lot of time outdoors standing around the egg, drinking with the house guests :)
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I keep thinking I need a thermapen. Have a probe st up for long cooks that works for me, but am guessing at times on steaks..... As for the digiq, I don't own one and feel like I do fine "old school". My temps fluctuate 20 degrees overnight without issues for the cook. I have done numerous cooks overnight without it mostly by perfecting my fire build. But I have trouble maintaining temps below 225 overnight.(fire snuffs out) Think a digiq would solve that.... Anybody have that experience?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    Flem that is pretty much the reason I am looking at them. 225 is pretty hard for me to regulate.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    The thermapen is nice to get an average of where you are, especially since we all have hot spots while cooking.  Say leg quarters, i have seen times when one piece may be 15 degrees from finishing, while others are done??