Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs

Options
belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 146
The last time and the only time I tried to do Beef Short Ribs, I crashed and burned.  There must be some good recipes out there.  My first attempt ended up with the ribs tasting good but tougher than a keg of nails. They ended up in the gargage can.  I know you eggers have some great suggestions for me. You have never let me down before.  Thanks.    Gordon,  Vero Beach, Fl

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gotta braise them. Try Mad Max's method in recipes here or on the other forum

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Part of the problem is that there are 3 or 4 different cuts call short ribs. The only one that will be tender w/o much work are from back ribs cut short. The other 3 will be pretty tough, but the ones from near the chuck section are the most tough. Hard to tell how to cook them.

I've never seen a package labelled "beef short ribs: chuck end,"  and I've not found a way to visually tell which those are.

So, I assume I'm getting the most tough. Cook direct, raised,  250 - 350 till the outside is blackened. Then, into a foil pouch, and let them braise in their own juices. Once the juices are sizzling inside the package, open, and cook direct just long enough to dry the outside.

Alternatively, cook them SV for about 3 days, and finish sear on the Egg for something as tender as steak, but as flavorful as chuck.

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Check out nibblemethis' website. He even has a little video on doing beef ribs.