Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Black Beans and Rice (Serve With Pulled Pork)

Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum

Ingredients:

! 1/2 heads of fresh garlic, finely chopped

1/4   cup of olive oil

2     medium onions, chopped

1    red or orange bell pepper, chopped

1    green bell pepper, chopped

6    cans Black Beans (unseasoned) undrained

2    packets of Badia Sazon Tropical seasoning

1    can beef broth

Saute in the olive oil the garlic, onions,bell peppers until soft.

Add balance and bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for two hours.

Serve over white rice with pulled pork as a side !!! 

Comments

• Yer serving a few with that amount of beans man.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well, i cook a pork butt to go with this and the pork butt is usually seven or eight pounds so it works out!  And this is the type of meal that only gets better with time!!!  The liquid in the black beans gets absorbed in the white rice, so it is thin.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,722
    And a LOT of garlic as well. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Garlic is what makes it good -- follow the recipe "FRESH" garlic! 
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 3,394
    i did this for my daughters birthday, Did Mojo pork butt on the smoker, black beans and rice. A mojo sauce goes nice afterward to squirt over the pork and rice and beans. It was a hit and I was very pleased.
    Seattle, WA
  • Well, i cook a pork butt to go with this and the pork butt is usually seven or eight pounds so it works out!  And this is the type of meal that only gets better with time!!!  The liquid in the black beans gets absorbed in the white rice, so it is thin.
    I'm a huge fan of Caribbean foods. Love red beans and rice, rice and peas, peas and rice, typical food and black beans and rice

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have tried this out on groups of people who have never heard of it -- i would have to explain how it is served or plated.  Never heard anyone that wasn't impressed with it.  It is kind of like a meal in itself like chili or "hoppin john"..
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,125
    This sounds terrific! Love  the garlic. I've been on a garlic kick lately, so his fits the bill. Thanks for the recipe.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I have tried this out on groups of people who have never heard of it -- i would have to explain how it is served or plated.  Never heard anyone that wasn't impressed with it.  It is kind of like a meal in itself like chili or "hoppin john"..
    We just got back from Jamaica and they had rice and peas at every meal. God I love that stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The rice with peas is usually called "dirty rice" in the Carribean.  It is very good, and i can make a  meal out of just the dirty rice!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    If i cooked that many beans my wife would leave for a week. My son and i would have fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Once she tasted them, ALONG with your good pulled pork she'll put up with you both..  :x
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,013

The rice with peas is usually called "dirty rice" in the Carribean.  It is very good, and i can make a  meal out of just the dirty rice!

When you say "peas" are you talking about pigeon peas?

This is arroz con gandules. It's the "mashed potatoes" to the holiday meal in Puerto Rico.