Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Choice Lump: Higher Price, Smaller Bag

Options
tnbarbq
tnbarbq Posts: 248
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I went to IGA to pick up a few food items and noticed Best Choice Lump has new packaging.  I also noticed it has gone up $1.00 and the formally 10 lb bag is now about 8.5lbs.  They did have a few of the old 10lb bags left so I grabbed them.  Fair warning if you use this lump.  BTW it's made by RO.
Scooter 
Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Charcoal prices are up this year because lumber prices are up 30% since last Feb.  The trucking costs, as well as the bag itself carry higher prices this year too.

A lot of manufacturers and brands are going to 4-kg (8.8 lbs) and 8-kg (17.6 lbs) bags.  They can put 12% less charcoal in the bag and charge the same price or a little more.  Most people won't notice since the bag size it about the same and there's still a round number on the bag.

This just isn't the charcoal industry though, they're just following in the footsteps of EVERY other product on the planet.......from potato chips, to paper towels, to bread.  They're just playing the game, but the smart consumer sees though it--like you did.