Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauerbraten Chicken Wings

Options

Germany has been on my mind a lot with Mrs. G being over there for work (yes, she's still there. Won't be home until late Wednesday afternoon). I got to talking with Kristi @NecessaryIndulg last week about chicken wings. Started me wondering if there was a German version. Did a little bit of looking around and came across one recipe (copied on 3 or 4 websites) for sauerbraten chicken wings. Nto something I had ever heard of and probably not authentic, but I love wings, so why not try a new recipe? No pictures of the marinade that I made the night before, but here are the wings going on the Egg at 400.

Halfway through

When the wings are almost done, its time to make the sauce. Basically just a roux, then add in some of the marinade that you reserve before pouring on the chicken, some chicken stock and wait for it....crushed ginger snaps. Weird huh? Toss the wings in the sauce and serve. (i sprinkled on some green onions just for color)

Interesting flavor for sure, not what you would expect when ordering wings. They were sweet but also sour and tangy. No heat at all, but why would they be? There was nothing to give them heat. Didn't really come out crispy, probably because of marinating overnight. Definitely messy. Not my favorite wing recipe in the world, but I'd do them again. Especially when Oktoberfest rolls around next fall.

Recipe is HERE if you are interested.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments