Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Screens?

Options
I'm curious if many people are using a pizza screen?  If so, are you doing the entire cook on the screen, or removing the screen once the toppings are almost done?  
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Great question, I'm wondering the same thing
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    those look like fun for all kinds of cooks.  I do a loaded bacon cheese fry that would do well on that

XLBGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Do the whole cook on it. It still gives a crispy crust and allows the toppings more time to cook.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ...and don't forget the main reason for the pizza screen is to rest a hot pizza on after cooking.   The screen keeps air under the hot pie and keep it from sweating and getting soggy before you eat it.   Handy item to have around.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I use them for the entire cook. Easy on easy off. Just dont press the dough into the screen too much or its not easy clean. Give em a try less than $10.
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Pizza screens have been used since the early 60's and were patented by Marino Binelli who was from Dearborn, MI, my hometown.  My father and Uncle's were his first customer's.  Used for the entire cook they do an excellent job.  We used a lot of cornmeal back in the old days and the old Blodgett and Baker's Pride ovens would get very smokey from the burnt meal. You had to constantly sweep out the ovens and it was a mess at the end of a 12 hour day.  Marino had a vision and made a mint.  I still have a few stashed away as souvenirs.  I just use my stone now.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!