Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok for large

Options
What are the recommendations for a wok on the large? Carbon steel of course. 1. Size? 2. Long handle or "D" handles? I see a lot of D Handle models on the forum, but am strangely attracted towards the long handle models. Looking for experienced input. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The best way to wok on a large is get a Spider from the ceramic grill store. The 16" wok is perfect for the large. I have a 30+ year old carbon steel one with the "helper handle" and highly recommend the handle, especially since you are leaning toward it already. I recently got a 12" wok for my small egg, I got it from the wok shop in San Francisco and am very pleased, I went with the metal d handles not knowing how far the wok would sit in the smaller egg. I am very happy with the quality of the wok, but wish I would have gone with the wooden handle. It makes it much easier to transfer food to a bowl without having to work quickly before the welding gloves get too hot.The wok shop knows about eggheads and is great to work with. I think they will even season your wok for a small fee if you ask over the phone. Here is what it looks like sitting in the spider on my large. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited February 2013
    Options

On my large I either use a 14" with "D" handles or a 14" with a wood handle, The opposite side handle I cut off years ago after the wood portion burned.I use the wood handled one with the spider legs in high positon.  I feel that the wood handle one gives me better control over the wok. The "D" when I am using a bamboo steamer basket so I can close the lid.  Here is a link about woks that may give you some ideas.  Let's Wok & Woll!

Type in "wok" in the "search" field top right and there is lots of good info.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. Kinda confirms what I was looking at @ the wok shop and cgs. I feel much more comfortable about the purchase now. I really felt the hanlde would be a big plus but wasn't sure how it would fit. Now I know. Thanks again!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I have both styles. My wooden handled wok is 14", and I mostly use it indoors, or on the turkey fryer burner outside. Also have a 16" D handled wok that I use on the Egg.

The spider from CGS makes it really easy to wok on the egg whatever style wok you choose.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options