Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp Torch longevity

I if ally broke down and bought a Benzomatic mapp torch at Lowe's this afternoon. It took a few mites to get a few spots lit, and I started wondering: using ,y Large Egg 4-5 nights a week, how long should 1 can of mapp gas last?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Quite awhile, My crew them all day every day when we were cad welding in Lightning Protection Systems for the FAA a couple years ago. 

4-5 nights a week i'm guessing just a couple bottles a year if that, unless you have a adjustable valve, which you don't need, we replaced one with that and it ran out in weeks when normally a bottle would last a month while working. 

I only use it when I take my small places so I can't vouch for just lighting the egg. I have a Looftlighter that stays at home with the large. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Do you like the looftlighter better than the mapp? I considered that, too. I'm not sure how they compare lighting lump.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    i have a propane torch that I've had forever, so it doesn't burn quite as hot as the mapp but basically is the same thing. I like the looftlighter because I never need to worry about buying fuel, I have a electric box in my pergola so I don't need to run an extension cord. It lights the first one a little slower than propane but the next spot or two light very quick once it gets hot. I purchased it with my large and had never lit my egg any other way until I bought my small and went camping. Both methods work and use roughly the same amount of time. The mapp is probably a little less than half the price but as long as it works I won't need to replace it anytime soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I light 3 spots, each for about 15 seconds. I guesstimate I can light about 100 times w. MAP Pro. Propane is slower, but it costs a lot less. I don't use it as much, but I suspect it is cheaper, if less convenient.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i use  weed burner with a small camping propane bottle lighting my eggs almost everyday it lasts about 2/3 months 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I returned a looftlighter and bought the Mapp torch. I am extremely happy I did!. The looftlighter works ok, but the Mapp torch lights faster for me. I HATED having to gather an extension cord, unfurl, light fire, re wrap cord (usually not to the liking of my DH). Mapp is just more convenient and quicker for me. I have used it at least 20 times and still on the 1st bottle. I have the unit with the long tube.
    I tried the oil and paper towel, the fire starter blocks, and alcohol. The paper towel/oil was too smokey for me. The alcohol works fairly well, just found myself needing to add more/start over due to fire not enough to light lump to my liking. The fire starter blocks work great, but I think Mapp is more economical in the long run. It's also easier to customize how my lump gets lit...Just my 3 cents!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • I get well over a year out of a bottle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    just remember to wear eye protection and an old shirt.....can cause sparks to fly.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Good point Tom. I use maple leaf lump that virtually has no sparks. Fidel got one in the eye a few years back.

Steve 

Caledon, ON