Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork shoulder, need advice please.

AlbertaEgger
AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

First time pork shoulder this weekend, looking for a little advice, or some corrections…<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Pork shoulder bone in 11 lbs

Going to brine for ~10 hours?? (water/apple juice/sugar/salt, mix)

Homemade rub (I usually wing it and make my own, but any suggestions for a shoulder would be great, and I cannot purchase Dizzy products here)

Sounds like 1.5 hours/lb is suggested. Also, will I need to add more lump throughout the night on a 15-17 hour cook at this temp

Dome temp 250-275?

Wrap for 2-3 hours when internal temp hits 200F?

Biggest question I have here, unless there is objections on the above is, should I inject or not? And if so, what should I inject with?

Any feedback is appreciated as always.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• IMHO keep it simple for your first cook.  Pork shoulder is very forgiving, take a peak here for a simple approach: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

Above all else, have fun!

Edina, MN

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I have never brined or injected pork shoulders and have had great results.  Not saying it cannot be done, but it is not necessary.

No need to reload lump.  Try to use larger pieces in the bottom and fill up the fire ring as much as possible.  I just did a 16hr cook using small crappy lump and had enough to finish a 15hr cook.

Only need to FTC shoulders if they get done early.  I usually let my shoulder rest for 30 minutes and then pull.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds about right. 

Start out with a clean egg and lump filled up to the top of the firebox - you don't want to have to add more. 

No need to inject - you're brining and adding rub.  You can always add a finishing sauce to taste after it's pulled.  It's easy to add salt but hard to take it away.

It'll be done in the 190-205F range - but don't go just by temp, start looking at it in that temp range.  When a thermometer probe can pierce it with almost no resistance, the bone is ready to pull out and the whole thing looks like it's gonna fall apart - it's done.

Foil-Towel-Cooler (FTC) is not necessary, it's just a means of keeping it warm until you're ready to eat.

• Yeah, It's the most forgiving meat there is. Main thing is to make sure your egg is clean and will go overnight.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Will do, I just picked up a new bag of lump ttoday, so I will clean out from the weekend cook and start with some fresh stuff. Thanks again. Anyone suggest a good rub a can make at home. I like to make all my sauces and rubs, but not sure what to use on a shoulder...yet.
  • Check Elder Wards recipe and method in recipes. If you can get Bad Byron's Butt rub out there, it's pretty good too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'll have a look around Edmonton tomorrow. Thanks.
  • I think NOLA is dead on with what he said. Just make sure you clean out the bottom of the egg well. Start with no ash in there and you wont have a problem with air flow. Don't believe any time frames you have read, every shoulder is different and some will take FOREVER to come out of the stall, some will barely stall. I have had many cooks finish hours early, and other finish hours late! Just be ready for whatever happens!  
  • Have you connected with "Doug in Eggmonton" at all? Great guy and an incredible cook. The Elder Ward rub does the job well. You can season a butt with salt and pepper and it will come out great.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• No I have not, I take it he is on the forum?
  • He was on the old forum but I think the recipes are in here as well. He says cook at 225* dome. Don't do that. Cook at 250*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sorry, you were talking about Doug...duh. No he is on the old forum, maybe not so much anymore. I'll get you his e-mail tomorrow. Really good guy and always happy to help.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sounds good, I wonder if there will ever be an eggfest up here one day, he might be the man to know! Hahaha. I'll have to make a work/ eggfest trip South though I think.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

Here's a link that describes the Elder Ward process-the main site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pork Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.