Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Spatchcock chickens....

Options
...can I fit on my LG? I'm thinking 3 if they are normal 5-6 lb birds in a triangle formation. Suggestions?? Thx!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do 2 lots and always thought 3. I like a 4 lb bird.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Here is a picture of two on my large to help you get a scale. I think three would be manageable might have to tuck the legs in a bit depending on your bird size. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have done three by tying the legs together. Still good, but not as good as if you have them lay flat. The skin didn't get crispy in the creases. Perhaps you can do a vertical roaster on one and then spatchcock the other two
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have done four on a large using the three tiered grill.  Two on the bottom level, didn't use the middle grid, and two on the top grid.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    It think it would all depend on what you've got available for multiple level cooks.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    might be an easier cook if you split them in half
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Options
    Yeah, cut them up, throw out the white meat and just cook the dark meat. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Griffin said:
    It think it would all depend on what you've got available for multiple level cooks.
    Must have misread. I was thinking he only had one grid. Muti-level, 4 is no problem. The skin is just not a crispy if the drippings from the top level hit the bottom level. Good eating though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Options

I also missed Muti-level. With this it would be easy to do 4 and do them direct as that is the way I spatchcock. Just rotate the top and middle level. ((note: do not use the clay))

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    I have no idea how many levels he has, he didn't say. I was just throwing that out there. If he had some bricks and an extra grid laying around, he could always use that until/unless he gets something else.

Rowlett, Texas

• Que_n_Brew
    Options
    The question was for 1 grid. @solson005, thanks for the pic for scale. Thanks to all that weighed in.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Sure, no problem. Happy to help! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Then why not consider doing four beer can chickens on the one grid ?? 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Then why not consider doing four beer can chickens on the one grid ?? 
    I agree...I think for quantity I would go with "vertical roasted".  I know many have debunked the whole "beer can" thing, but the beer can is at least useful to hold the bird vertically.  Just don't waste any beer :).  Drink the beer then put some water in the can simply to add a little weight and make it stable. 

If you really want to do spatch, I think I would go with an extra grid and cook 2 on each level.  I would think the top would finish first, so I would pull those then move the bottom birds to the top rack and let them go a little longer to finish up.  Pick up an extra grid, then drink those 4 beers and use the cans to hold up the second level ;)

One thing is for certain...there is no way to complete this cook without drinking at least 4 beers!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Options
    If you can't get 3 then cook 2 and an hour later cook 2 more.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Mickey said:
    If you can't get 3 then cook 2 and an hour later cook 2 more.
    That is another simple solution!  I would add, that this will only work if you drink at least 2 beers cooking session. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Options
    I do that with turkey. Do not like the 20lb birds and like 13lb birds. So spatchcock turkey cook it and 75 min's later cook another if needed. Lots of turkey that way.......