Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very happy with first pork butt!!! (pic heavy)

Options
I have to say my first pork butt was quite the experience.  I needed it done early last Friday morning as I was leaving around noon for an ice fishing trip.  Based on everything I've read, I was figuring between 13-16 hours for the cook.  I put it on Thursday night at 6:00 after getting it all settled in at 250* on the grate.  Well after getting to sleep around 11:30, I woke up at 3:50am and decided to have a peak at the iPad to see what I was working with.  Well the temp had crept up to 240* (I realize this is not big deal), but the meat was now at 192.  I thought to myself, this could be done at anytime as I wanted to pull it at 200.  Needless to say, I barely slept a wink before I decided at 7:30 to pull it off at 197, when it began to drop from the 199 it was at for a while.  Decided to FTC it for a few hours while I tried to catch a bit more sleep.  Here are the results.  Mixed some apple chunks and hickory chips throughout the lump.  After pulling it, I kept it cold in a foil container and reheated it the next day for a couple hours at 250*.  I can't wait to do this again, although next time I'll be happy to put it in around midnight and sleep like a baby.  I also can't get over how much lump I had left after 13.5 hours from the time I first lit it.  Visual proof:

LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice! I love the "ice beach" feel of the last pic.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What part of Texas are you in?   Real nice cook man....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice "pull"...the last photo looks mighty cold though.

Johns Creek, Georgia