Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Superbowl / Birthday feast

Options
Yesterday we hosted a Superbowl / birthday party for my sister and me.. Her birthday was a couple days ago, and mine is in a couple days. Now that there is a down week between the conference championship games and the Superbowl, we've been having big parties to celebrate on Superbowl Sunday.

I decided that I was going to attempt a butt (8 lb) and my first small packer brisket (7 lb) at the same time on my LBGE and do it the day of the party. Not having a DigiQ or BBQ Guru, I thought I would do a Turbo butt (my first) and be safe on getting the cook done properly.. I wasnt sure how I was going to cook the brisket quickly, but the Travis method worked well.

I fired up the Egg around 8.. Let it get to temp and put in some maple chips and the platesetter.. Then I started prepping the butt.. Rubbed it with yellow mustard and lightly some Steak N Shake seasoning that my wife loves.. She doesn't care for the bark, so that works well for that too.

Put the butt on around 8:45 at 300 and started prepping the brisket.. I was a bit panicked about how to cook it quickly without drying it out and made some posts yesterday.. I had seen the Travis style brisket mentioned numerous times but never saw the original thread.. Luckily @Solson005 pointed me to it and I got in gear. Had to run to the store for a couple supplies (pan, Worcestershire, and beef broth). Came back and rubbed the brisket, cut it to fit in the pan and then poured Abita Double Dog and onions into the pan. It hit the Egg around 9:30.

A few hours into the cook I realized my temp was slowly declining.. A quick check, and sure enough, I had burned through most of the lump.. Minor panic set in, but then I made a plan for removing everything and did it flawlessly.. Dumped some more lump in, opened the vents wide to get it back up to temp, and put everything back in place. The Egg did its job and got the lump burning quickly, almost too well as the temp hit 400 and had to be brought back down..

We ran to the store to get some final items for the party.. When I walked back in the door, the wireless remote monitor was beeping.. The butt had just hit 200 in 5.5 hours.. Checked the temp on the brisket, and it was at 205. Pulled both off and FTC'd them in the same cooler.

Then I got the grill ready for some wings, raised direct at 375 - 400.. Had some marinating in teriyaki sauce.. Did another set with Obie Cue (glazed with honey on the grill), and some more went on plain and got some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce.  

Once the wings were done (about an hour later) I put some Conecuh sausage (the best) and some Nathan's beef dogs on there to finish out the cook..

It all came out awesome.. So many compliments on the pork and brisket. And I couldn't have done it without the help of y'all on the forum.. Thanks!
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• bccomstock
    Options
    My phone isn't letting me attach pics, and I didn't mean to hit post without the pics included.. I'll get them up when I get home.

:)
    LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    It's the law on the pics. Also Happy Birthday.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Happy to help, I bookmark the stuff I like so it is easy to find again since the search function doesn't always help in finding the right post. I'm with you on pics from the ipad or iphone, I prefer to do it on my macbook. Glad it worked out and will be looking forward to the pictures. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Alright, here are the pics as promised.. Bit of a delay due to son's tonsillectomy today.. :(

LBGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks like a great birthday / gameday celebration! Hope your son has a speedy recovery. Brisket and a butt nicely done!! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Thanks, he's doing well now.. And thanks for all the help!  BTW, I didn't mention it, but I did inject the brisket with the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce mix.. Both the brisket and butt were just falling apart.
    LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Happy BIrthday
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks delicious - and happy b-day, BTW.
    Options
    Holy schnikeys! That looks awesome! And happy birthday!!! :D
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Holy schnikeys! That looks awesome! And happy birthday!!! :D
    Thanks Dyal.. And it was!  I just fixed some pulled pork and brisket nachos with the leftovers last night.. Amazing.  I've been missing out.

Here's some of the birthday haul I got.. Not shown are the welding gloves, Cosmic Cow and Obie Cue Sweet & Heat rubs, and BGE fire starters.  A great birthday for sure!
    LBGE