Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

I'm shopping for a cast iron grate, which one do you recommend? 

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    If your interested in getting more room and want searing / heat retention of cast iron, take a look at Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack it is made from carbon steel so it seasons and sears like cast iron and has two levels that you can swing the top one out of the way to get to the food on the bottom level quickly and easily to flip, baste, or take off the grill. 

You can also use it with the platesetter for indirect cooks like this:

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you can spend the $$, then I think the swing rack is totally the way to go. The cheapest option is the Char-Broil cast iron grate - includes a 22.5" grate with an 18" insert. The insert fits the LBGE. About $30 I think.

https://m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_507255_-1

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2013
    Depends on your needs. If you just want to sear a couple of steaks or want a quick sear/roast or reverse sear solution, a Small BGE CI grid & spider from CGS is a great choice. If you want more space for searing and flexibility of interchangeable sections (griddle, veg basket), check out Craycort http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/grids-for-bge-and-kamados/large-eggs-primos-domes.html. If you want multi tier and cast-iron like (it is not cast iron), the CGW swing grate is a nice option. If you just want a single full size CI grid, the BGE Large is good.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I agree with @R2Egg2Q it all depends on needs and budget and if you do get a Spider from CGS to get the grid right above the coals it also is great to stabilize a wok

The Craycort was on my radar before I went with the swing rack to add a second level. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975