Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo shoulder

Options
Gardiner
Gardiner Posts: 7
This past week I noticed for the first time the threads mentioning turbo alternatives to the low and slow techniques. I knew I was going to be doing a pork shoulder for pulling this weekend so I decided to try the turbo method, especially having read about the successes. This morning at the civilized hour of 9:30, I put the 10 lb shoulder on and expected it to still take an hour per pound, so I was worried that I was too late still. I got the dome temp to a steady 350* and watched the probe thermometer for 190*. At 1:45, a mere 4 hours and 15 minutes later, the remote probe read 192*! I took off the well charred and crispy shoulder and it is now resting / cooling so I can pull it. The sample chunk I tried is not disappointing! Moist, tasty, and tender. What else could I ask for? I think I might be another turbo convert.
Gardiner Large BGE Dallas

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Dang-that may be a turbo record in time/lb.  However you get to the finish-line and enjoy the results...that's what makes Q fun. There are as many ways as those who play.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gardiner
    Options
    Upon further review, I think the meat could have benefited from more time. I may have had my thermometer on a fat vien. The connecting fat was not properly broken down and the meat could have been a bit more tender away from the outside inch.
    Gardiner Large BGE Dallas