Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First homemade dough pizzas

WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,322
My first try at homemade pizza dough- I used : http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html I took NOLA's advice and bought some caputo 00 flour. Forgot to take pics until half way through cooking. I cooked them at 550-600. Learned a couple things- cook slightly longer than you may want for crisper crust. Leave a little more edge as it shrinks as you shimmy off the peel and as it is cooking the cheese/toppings will spill over. Our favorite was a pesto sauce version. Can't wait to try again with a few corrections but overall turned out great.
Greensboro, NC
image.jpg 284.7K
image.jpg 295.3K
·

Comments

• Looks good for first try...like a pro
    ·
  • I agree, looks great. 

We use Antimo Caputo's tipo "00" flour and follow these directions with great results

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf
    ·
  • Looks great, nice job!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • vettes2vettes2 Posts: 50
    I use PANKO bread crumbs and lightly press them into the dough, then flip it over.  Some use corn meal, but the PANKO crumbs actually add to the flavor and crunch. Your toppings will not fall off
    as the dough will slide well.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    edited March 2013

@ Wolf, Get some parchment paper and load your rig onto it. Take it to the bake and after its a tad done, you can slide it (the paper) right off. Please give it a try. It works.

I too use Caputo and do it on a KA. Comes out super and we will never "tolerate" a lesser Pizza.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    @wolfpack that is the same exact recipe I use...bit of a labor of love but it is the best.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·