Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheated Pork

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited January 2013 in Pork

So prior to the cold weather htting me here up north, I decided to cook off a couple of Butts for the winter and freeze in case I cant fire my egg up when I have a craving.

I have tried to warm it up in a pan on low with some sauce, but it tended to dry out and wasnt like fresh.( Not like I expected it to be like fresh but not overly dry like it was). It was good right out of the pan but dried out quick if you came back for seconds.

So I tried to reheat it in a bag. I took the pork and mixed it with my sauce added some rub, and put it in a sandwich bag and dropped it in a  pot of boiling water on the stove. It was perfect. I slapped it on some Rye bread with some onions and it was bangin. Soooooo good. I might just run out of my freezer stash sooner than I thought.

Comments

• itguywithanegg
    Options
    We have no microwave in our house.  I re-heat a lot of leftovers by steaming them with the lid off. Most of the time it turns out great sometimes depending on what you are steaming it gets a little soggy.  Just a thought.
  • rustypotts
    Options
    I either place a Food Saver wrapped goody in a pot of boiling water or if it is not in a food Saver bag I put it in a pan with a little water, cover it in foil and put t in the oven.  Or, I sometimes steam it in a steamer usually with the lid on.  With ribs I double wrap them in foil and add some liquid and pop them in the oven.  So effectively I steam my left overs too.  It really works great.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I never have rib leftovers........LOL. I just cant stop eating them, and my buddies are the same.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Not to be safety nazi or anything...but the plastic used in Ziploc bags isn't meant to withstand boiling water.  There was a craze about Ziploc omelettes using boiling water  or something like that and they (SC Johnson) made a statement that the bags break down at 195 deg F and boiling the bag was definitely not recommended.  

Many folks advocate boiling in food saver bags and I am quite sure at one point this was on their commercials, but I contacted them and they stated they only recommend simmering if cooking on the stove.  Don't go above 170-180 or something like that.  

Still a good technique, but I would choose a foodsaver bag and simmer not boil fwiw.  ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.