Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Bacon Jam

McStewMcStew Posts: 572
edited December 2012 in Holiday Recipes

Ingredients<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·         1 pound thick smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces

·         1 large onion, sliced

·         2 cloves garlic, chopped

·         1/4 cup cider vinegar

·         3/4 cup coffee (brewed)

·         1/4 cup brown sugar

·         1/4 cup maple syrup

·         1/8 cup bourbon

·         1-2 chipotle chilies boiled and chopped

·         1/2 teaspoon cumin

·         pepper to taste

·         2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Cook the bacon in a large pizza  pan medium 350 indirect feet up heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon starts to get crispy and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.

Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.

Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan.

Add the coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, bacon, chipotle chilies, cumin and pepper, balsamic, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 1-2 hours.

Process the jam in a food processor to smooth it out a bit but not too much as you want to have the texture of the bacon.

Prep you egg for 350 indirect lots of smoke

save a price of bacon for your prep work

thanks to ctex and others take whatever sv contraption you have purchased or made and put your burgers on

3 hours later on low it should look something like this

more to follow later cooling now .....

Marina Del Rey CA 
550.JPG 186.5K
551.JPG 187.7K
553.JPG 82.4K
552.JPG 87.2K
556.JPG 97.8K
555.JPG 108.8K
557.JPG 80.7K
561.JPG 128.2K

• 500500 Posts: 1,844
    That looks like it would be good on burgers, pizza, or chocolate ice cream!
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • McStewMcStew Posts: 572

finsihed results

500- its good on just about anything - i will have to try ice cream tonight

563.JPG 129.2K
    564.JPG 106.4K
    Marina Del Rey CA 
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That looks delisous.Do you know the ph level? Is it suitable for water bath canning or since it contains meat,does it need to be pressure canned for non refridegerated storage? I am sure it would be fine if refridegerated for a few days,just wondering.
  • 500500 Posts: 1,844
    McStew's recipe looks alot like Martha Stewart's Slow Cooker recipe, but it looks like McStew added some more heat. 

I found another recipe with similar ingredients at America's Test Kitchen Feed.

This is on my To Do list.

Hoss, Martha says you can refrigerate it for 4 weeks.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."