Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire!!

Options
So 99% of the time I use my Egg. I happened to use my weber to grill some quick steaks. Having not used it in forever and forgetting the drip pan needed to be emptied...the drip pan caught fire and forced me to use an extinguisher. That being said...after a cleaning job...not perfect by any means, is it safe to cook on? In other words if there's remaining fire extinguisher material left is it harmful to food?? Thanks!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Most of the dry powder extinguishers use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), which isn't poisonous, but they can add other chemicals.  Look up the MSDS for the brand of extinguisher you used. You might want to hose it all down really well.
    Options
    I'd hose it down. Even if the chemicals are safe, I would not want to risk vaporizing any residual and having that impart an odor to the food. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I would not cook on something that I just put a fire extinguisher to unless I really cleaned it well, why take the chance on screwing your steaks. .