Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick temp question

I'm using my maverick "grill" thermometer at the grid for the first time. I have a dome temp of 275 and the maverick at the grid is reading 287. I have used the "food" probe with great success in the past, but this is the first time using the probe at the grate at the same time. Should mention I'm cooking two 6 lb butts at the moment. Any thoughts on the discrepancy?
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2012

With a plate setter in (or similar indirect method) your reading should be lower at grid level than at dome (by anywhere from a few degrees to 50 degrees lower).  Mine's usually about 30 degrees or so lower.  My guess would be that you have the probe mounted too close to the edge of the grid where the heat is rising.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 13 degrees is not that bad.  When you get an 80-100 degree difference, then you'll be scratching your head...

I had problems like this when I first got my Maverick.  I'd move the grate probe around with varying success, but was limited on position based on what I was cooking.  When I had a turkey in there without the grate at all in there, then you had to get real creative on where to put it.  

Now I just clip the probe to the green egg probe and the discrepancies are minimal and I don't need to worry about recording multiple temps in my logs.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Yes, I would have expected the grate temp to be approx. 30* less than the dome temp. I will move it and see what happens
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay said:
    Yes, I would have expected the grate temp to be approx. 30* less than the dome temp. I will move it and see what happens
    I clip mine to the grid, a couple of inches from the meat, with good results.
    Packerland, Wisconsin