Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-cooking ribs??

Greeno55
Greeno55 Posts: 635
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been asked to bring some ribs to a New Year's Eve get together. I have been albe to produce delicious ribs in the past, but they have always been consumed immediately. I may need to make these the morning of, or possibly even the day before then travel with them a couple hours where they will be reheated and sauced up (on a gasser *cough cough*). If there was ever a need for a mini ...!! What are some of your best practices for precooking ribs? Do I just do it as normal and let them cool on the counter? Do I risk losing the bark?

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe New Year.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    I've been making ribs using a cross between Dr. BBQ's "backyard" and "championship" recipe for years before getting my egg. It works excellently on the egg and lends itself very well to doing them a day ahead such as for a tailgate. I've done them this way to take to work on half a dozen occasions with great success. The dry rub and 2.5 - 3 hours on the egg the day ahead do all the magic of applying smoke and a great bark. I've had access to an oven at work and have done the "tenderization" part of the recipe by putting in a roasting pan with apple juice and slathered in honey for 1.5 hours at 300 followed by 15-20 minutes on the gas grill with glaze. Or you could do the tenderization at home on the egg and just the sauce/glaze on the gasser to reheat. All in all probably not as good as doing it all at home but still pretty darned good.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I remembered an old post from the Greeneggers.com forum... Essentially it's a high temperature Sous Vide (can use a regular pot on the stovetop) 40 min on the stove, remove from bag and do another 40 min on the grill.  I did it and it works... double bag, though... If the bags touch the hot metal they will melt.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I agree with jfarley, cook as usual on BGE then reheat on site. Just be sure not to sauce prior to reheating or you may have an issue with the sauce burning or charring.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Any issues with the bark cooking it today, but serving them tomorrow at dinner?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario