Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Temperature Control & Lighting My Egg!

2»

Comments

• I think the biggest cause of poor fire starts is that folks don't clean out their egg. I take out the old lump and put it in a grocery bag. Then I vaccum out the ash. If I am doing a low and slow I also take out the fire ring and firebox and vacuum it completely clean. Then new lump on bottom and remanant lump on top. Fires right up and burns evenly, even 22 hours some times.
  • Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice.  Today's effort was much more successful.  Attached is the pizza I made this evening on the BGE.  My temp was much better, but still low.  I got the grill up to about 700+, then did the plate setter, which dipped to 450 after 5 minutes, then with the pizza stone in place I could only keep about 415 degrees.  Now, it cooked my pizza and it tasted great, crust done all the way through, but I'd like to get some browning on my cheese! 

I'm wondering if my pizza stone is too large - it isn't a BGE stone.  It takes up about the same size as my plate setter.  I had everything left wide open.  Maybe it being 22 degrees outside didn't help. ;-)

There is definitely a learning curve with the BGE coming from my 13 year old gas grill.  The end result is well worth it.  I'm trying to use it more and more, which my wife doesn't mind at all.  This go around the ash was pretty cleaned (had just cleaned it out before doing chicken breast) and I stirred the ash down and added new.  I actually lit from the middle of the lump, putting in my starters and then adding new lump on top.  

-Clarke