Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jaymer Waldorf photos from early saturday

Options
jaymer
jaymer Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had best intentions of taking photos, but things just got to busy and with all the cooking and eating, and eating and cooking, well, the camera didn't get much use. But here's some shots from early in the day where it started out chilly and breakfast was heavy on our minds (the first two are from Friday).[p]PS _ due to security reasons, I was not able to show my entire face in the first photo. Well, its either that OR I did a timed exposure with the camera on the top of the car, and didn't realize I was taller than Chubby.
[ul][li]Waldorf 2005 Saturday pics[/ul]

Comments

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    Options
    Jaymer,[p]Great photo album. The only things missing are pics of that great smoked mullet you made. Can you post a recipe when you get settled?[p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    aka mr. Earl,
    I've got a photo of the mullet, so it will be available later in the week. Yeah, boy, it was good!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • jaymer
    Options
    aka mr. Earl,
    thanks, though its a shame you had such a small piece, but as the day goes on, there's not so much room left in people's stomachs.
    Chubby, BBQ Bob, Roger Johnson?, Whiz all got closeups of the Mullet so I assume I'll get a few pics to add to that collection.[p]I'm sure I'll add this later as we get to the "Waldorf Recipe" posts, but the Mullet was simple. The 2nd & 3rd batches were best, as the dome was only 200 for 2 hours. The first batch was dome 250 and they came off after about an hour, except one came off maybe 30 minutes later (Mad Max got that one) and was really crusty on the bottom and overcooked... until we found the sweet spot under the backbone and it was still tender in there. I brought Apple chunks with me and I'm not even sure they got enough smoke on them. At 200, we noticed one time there wasn't any smoke at all so we had to burp the egg a bit to get some fire going down there (opened the lid and the damper all the way for about 1 minute).
    I didn't notice ANY difference in taste between the 3 batches... the first was only WessB's freshly ground salt/pepper, then DPs Tsunami Spin & DPs Ragin River. Personally, I think they needed garlic powder, celery powder & some other salty blend (adobo, all spice, etc) but as I didn't have those with me, I just used what I had... maybe I didn't use enough?
    Also, There's a thick side & a thin side (you'll see what this means when the photos are added). Normally, down here in Tampa, when you buy a mullet at some event, you get the whole thing. We were trying to make them go further, so I was cutting them into two pieces, so some people didn't get the really thick meaty part. And to hassle with the thin side and get a few bones lodged in your mouth may put you off a bit, but if you had the entire fish all to yourself I think most would be happy.
    Another thing was when I'd pull the backbone off the thick side, a whole slew of seasoning would come off with it... kinda like removing the skin from a piece of chicken when it takes all the spices with it. so that left that thick meaty side all out there on its own with little seasoning, which on the one hand was kinda fine cause now its all fish & smoke with nothing distracting you or covering up the taste.
    With the exception of the overdone stuff from the 1st batch, I was pretty pleased with it, although you can see why guys build elaborate smoking chambers for Mullet down here as I was only able to do 4 fish per large egg - a 5th could get on a XL.
    I think I'll do this again in Atlanta. There will still be enough Yankees coming to town who will have never even heard of a Mullet :)

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]P51401082.jpg[p]I'm posting one this Morning....ha ha ha ha !!!![p]On a serious note....I have a bunch of pics,Yes....even a few good ones!![p]If you want, I'd disc them up and send them to Naked Whiz Headquarters for a disc of yours?[p]On a final note....I spent the last two or three hours at the afterparty chatting it up with your friend ftom over the pond. We covered subjects from F1...1970's to present, early British music, and finished up with a spirited discussion of world politics and Tony Blair![p]What a Chap!! I wish I'd gotten acquainted earlier!! As we walked in to leave we decided we'd keep in touch and maybe hook up while I'm in GB. [p]He told me you could provide contact and email info, and I'd be greatful to you if you could pass said along in your time.[p]Email to my address off board would probably be best.[p]Please get back with me if wou want to trade pics, and In case I didn't get a chance to say so, It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance this weekend!![p]Have a good week!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Jaymer,
    Great mullet, Jaymer!!!! Yes, I have a photo or two. Check your email later today. I wish I knew how to post them easily, but what do you want from an old-time biosciences guy?! And I can't find an elementary school kid to do it for me...[p]Thanks for posting your collection. Will show them to my wife, who will be even more upset that she dicided not to come![p]Nice meetin' you, buddy![p]Rodger

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    Jaymer,[p]Great, great, great pictures. Made me feel like I was there. [p]I also like the pictures of that Weber charcoal divider. Where did you get that baby?[p]Bill
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Jaymer,[p]It was really good meeting you and all of the folks who post to this forum.
    What a bunch of quality individuals eggers are![p]WooKitties and I are over the river and through the woods to Grandma's 97th Birthday......... see y'all on on Friday.[p]Once again, what a great time![p]John

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Jaymer,[p]You da man! [p]I was great meetin', eatin', and drinkin' with ya![p]The mullet was one of the more memorable items of the fest. Thanks for the treat and your cooking insight.[p]Smokey
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chubby,
    Check your email in a little while.....[p]THanks!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • wfd146
    wfd146 Posts: 36
    Options
    aka mr. Earl,[p]I say, I say it was great meeting you Mr. Earl! HAAAHAAA![p]Pay attention son![p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    jaymer,
    Way to go; I saw the photo of the mullet and you done good!! Eating smoked mullet is putting a little "South in Yo Mouth". Maybe you can give me some sources for fresh mullet in Tampa....I enjoyed drooling over your photos.

• jaymer
    Options
    Clem, i can definitely take care of you - i can get it directly from a boat captain for $.80 - $1.00 per pound - down here at Gibsonton Rd exit off I-75.
    Crab Hut over off 22nd street is $1.80/lb or $1.50/lb if you get 10lbs. Those old coots also charge $4 to clean 10lbs. Cox seafood is $1.89/lb cleaned anyway you want.
    Will be a pleasure and easy to hook you up.
    We'll get Scott "Borders" to come out here and make a party of it. Another egger, "J Curtis" who was at Waldorf lives only a mile from me.
    Hey, thats a quorum, so lets Jaymer-Que!
    More later,
    jaymer...[p]PS _ there's some more photos from Rodger (DobieDad) that will soon appear in my Waldorf photo album.