Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple dumplings

Options
Made these tonight. 

They were very good with vanilla ice cream, I only used 4 oz of Mountain Dew, and that seemed enough.  You may need a shot of insulin afterward, as they are sweet.
Thanks @MJQ8 for the original post, @GrannyX4 and @dweebs0r for the link.  

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Looks great.  I think I'll try these tomorrow.  Me and the Mrs have a sweet tooth.

@TjcoleyDid you make these in the Egg or the regular oven?
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I did them in the Egg, 350 indirect.  Already had it heated up from dinner.  Turned them quite a bit to keep it baking evenly.  
    edited November 2012
    Options
    May try it in the egg in a cast iron dutch oven.  Thanks again for the inspiration.  I meant to do these last weekend and didnt get around to it...
  • lowlightbw
    Options
    We had this as well! So good!
  • dweebs0r
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ok, I made these tonight...  Wow.  Very good.  As per @Tjcoley I used 4 oz of Mountain Dew.  Next time, I may cut the sugar amount by 1/4 to 1/2 cup.  Very good stuff but just a little sweet, especially when you top it with ice cream.  I made this in the regular oven because I was doing a brisket flat in the Egg.

(no pics -- sorry!)

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 on cutting back the sugar, as well as maybe using only 1 or 1 1/2 stick butter.  They were even better today.  Didn't seem as sweet, much more apple pie flavor.  - maybe everything had time to settle together.  Just zapped a couple for 20 seconds 
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Don't understand wanting to cut back the sugar.  This is my grandson's favorite dessert.  It is a delicious and I want it to be SWEET!!!  :D
  • MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
    Options

No worries! Glad you were able to get it done. The soda use didn't sit well with me so I actually went a different route for these but had zero success primarily becuase of too much multi tasking trying to get dinner Wednesday night (ribs LBGE), this desert for after dinner and get ahead of the game for Thursday.

Too many apples in the air at one time I guess. Oh well, try, try, try again.

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.