Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee rub, and turkey breast. Oh my God!

Since we went to my sisters place yesterday, we had no leftovers. So, I snagged an 8lb turkey breast, brined it, applied Mickeys coffee rub, and cooked indirect at 350-375 for just over two hours. It reached 170 quicker than I expected, but I pulled it, loosely covered it with foil and let it rest for about 30 min.

I cut into it, said several creative curse words, danced around a bit and looked around for someone to high five. Possibly the best thing I've made ...ever.

Brining is unbelievably effective. I can't believe I've looked past something so easy for so long. The coffee rub is also ridiculously good. Tough to describe, but delicious.

Nolaegghead, thanks for your brine recipe. Mickey...whoever you are, your rub is bananas.

What a meal!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Congrats...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks for sharing Sam. Brining has been key for me for turkeys. Good win today for our Huskers. It will give me a chance to have another BGE BBQ meal for a few buddies next Saturday for the Big10 Championship game. GBR!!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I recently made a batch of Mickey's coffee rub and have been using it on spatchcock chicken and pork butts with great results!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    GBR and Go BGE
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2012
    I used it on a 10 lb turkey yesterday and have been eating on it all day. The stuff is better cold i think... Glad you liked it. Try it on sirloin. I like to take a one inch sirloin and cut it in 1 inch strips, put in plastic bag with a little evoo on good amount of coffee rub and mix up. That way you can grill it on all four sides quick and so very good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2012

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.