Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would this dry out a Turkey?

If you smoked a Turkey and was an hour or so before the rest of the food was ready. Would it dry out the Turkey if you wrapped it in foil, a towel and put in a cooler? Thanks!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    As long as the turkey remains intact, no. FTC will allow it to hold temp and the juices to redistribute, though it may sacrifice crispy skin. Smoking the bird can sacrifice the skin to, so that a wash.

EDIT: Just be careful when you pull the turkey as the temp can continue to rise by a few degrees. 160 is probably good to shoot for.
  • +1 Eggcelsior, I usually let it rest for half an hour before carving, one hour will work. 
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I cooked mine last year the morning of thanksgiving, wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler, then took a shower.  Then drove 100 miles to my moms house.  Turkey was still steaming hot inside when i tried to cut it.  So now problems there, it was probably close to 2.5 hours total. Not dry at all.

Frank