Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bird Smoking - Pilgrims and Injuns

I'm going to egg a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. I am looking for wood chunk suggestions from those who have done this before.

Thanks,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Not sure using the term "Injuns" is appropriate! I understand you were joking, but might offend some.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fruit woods like apple or cherry work.  Don't use much.  Turkey can get overpowered quick. 

Sorry about the devastating loss to Texas A&M.
    I've enjoyed pecan...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• You can't beat the color that cherry gives the skin -- just err on the side of less rather than more. People are usually not expecting true 'smoked' turkey for their holiday meal. Just get enough on to notice it (1 chunk, maybe 2) but not to overwhelm. I e never used pecan but I hear its a great wood for poultry as well. Cherry just gives it a very rich color that people drool for.
  • tyenic1 said:
    Not sure using the term "Injuns" is appropriate! I understand you were joking, but might offend some.
    Are skins around here that thin?  A little less on the drama please.  I'm polish and I don't give a rip if a wave of pollock jokes roll through.  I'll start it off, "Why did the pollock oil his brakes?  Because they were squeeking!"  Ouch.  That was hurtful.  Spare me! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited November 2012

Cherry.

@Fred19Flintstone - down here in Texas,we don't tell Polish jokes. We tell the same jokes, we just replace pollocks with Aggies.

:))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Did peach this weekend came out good
  • tyenic1 said:
    Are skins around here that thin?  A little less on the drama please.  I'm polish and I don't give a rip if a wave of pollock jokes roll through.  I'll start it off, "Why did the pollock oil his brakes?  Because they were squeeking!"  Ouch.  That was hurtful.  Spare me! 
    Oh boy here we go...Polack. Pollock is a fish :) and yes I squeak. I'm 1/2 Dutch
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    fan of pecan with a hint of cherry.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    tyenic1 said:
    not sure that there is a term that would make all the tribes happy, or would that be groups of first peoples, no thats in english.... hmmmm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I was highly offended. As a person who has been made fun of all his life...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I remember when this was a much more friendlier place. I'm outa here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    I'm joking. I'm polish. Very thick skinned...how did the Germans defeat Poland? They marched in backwards and we thought they were leaving.
  • henapple
    The Polish giraffe walked into a bar and said...the high balls are on me.
  • henapple
    Pollack walks into the bar carrying a large piece of asphalt and said... Give me one, and one for the road.
  • LMAO....Funny

Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • henapple
    Skelton walks into a bar and the bartender refuses to serve him...he can't hold his liquor.

Bartender throws a ribeye onto the ceiling and it sticks. He tells the patron...if you can hit the steak with a dart you can have it. The customers says, ...no thanks, the steaks are too high.
  • tyenic1 said:
    Oh boy here we go...Polack. Pollock is a fish :) and yes I squeak. I'm 1/2 Dutch
    Whatja expect from a polack?
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    tyenic1 said:
    Whatja expect from a polack?
    Reminds me of an old joke:

A pollock walks into a bar and the bartender says: "What do you want?" The pollock croaks "water."

Probably should have left well enough alone and not said anything. I guess being an Indian born on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation in South Dakota I felt a little taken a back by the Injun comment. I am a pretty lighthearted person and don't mind joking around about my heritage, but thought the slur might have been over the top. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers and apologize for not just leaving this alone. Hope you all can forgive me and we can carry on about egging.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2012
    tyenic1 said:

Probably should have left well enough alone and not said anything. I guess being an Indian born on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation in South Dakota I felt a little taken a back by the Injun comment. I am a pretty lighthearted person and don't mind joking around about my heritage, but thought the slur might have been over the top. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers and apologize for not just leaving this alone. Hope you all can forgive me and we can carry on about egging.

I'm sorry if I put you off a bit.  IMO, things have sunk into a politically correct swamp where a lot of people are looking for reasons to be offended, a lot of people are walking on eggshells for fear of offending anybody and still other people are busy warning the eggshell walkers that they might have broken a shell (offended somebody).

My take was that the OP was trying to be humorous.  Perhaps it's easy for me because he didn't say "polock".  I wouldn't care if he did.  "Stupid polock", would have been fightin' words though! 

My apologies to the OP for the hyjack.  FWIW, I like apple and cherry.

Flint, Michigan
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited November 2012
    My comment removed.  Seemed a little harsh.  Sarcasm is hard to express on the interwebs.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Blind man walks into a bar...he didn't see it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    Dyslexic walks into a bra....
  • Apple...did anyone say apple yet?
  • nolaegghead
    I just got a death threat from the International Association of Koala Relations.  They weren't happy about my disparaging tale between a Koala and a hooker.  And they said Koalas aren't "bears".   Yeah, right.  Whatever.