Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time chilli, using a wok.

So my wife came home with a $6 wok she picked up brand new at the store. I didn't think it was going to be anything special for that price and wanted to make some chilli for the first time ever. Not just first time on the egg, but my first time making chilli. So I got tome sausage in a tube, some beef, beer, beans, tomatoe paste, some stewed tomotoes, some brown sugar, and dizzy pig swamp venom and jamacian firewalk. You can see the line where the chilli was, we ate it like it was the last thing to eat on earth! Ohh yea, the wok HAD wooden handles... :)

imageimage

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2012

The chili looks real, real good and don't worry about the handles: they will not be around much longer =))

is that beans in there?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @mickey

Yea, the wife had a mixture or 3 kinds. Why? Did I mess it up? First time so no clue lol.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Mickey
    I am sure in Michigan you are a hero chili maker. But in Texas it might be said: "get a rope" =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited November 2012

All kidding aside my friend. Very good looking wok of red......

I am not sure if EVER the words ""wok of red"" has EVER been used togather.

• I see...I will omit beans next time. Why though?

• Mickey
    I see...I will omit beans next time. Why though?
    Jason there is no why..... Just is in Texas. We (as a rule / most of us) just make chili without beans in this part of the world. I use a lot of meat and I would guess at sometime the beans made up for using less meat (pulled that one out of my @ss, not a clue).

• Haha...I have to agree with the theory as far as my personal taste. I almost threw in a pound of bear as well.

• From what I've read, the original chilis on the Texas cattle trails had quite a bit of beans in them.  They didn't kill a calf to eat during the cattle drive.  Cattle were the cash inventory.  Instead, if they happened to shoot a rabbit or armadillo, they'd throw that meat in, but all in all, beans made up a large portion.

I'm not sure when that changed, but I'm with Mickey.  Here in Texas, if you get caught putting beans in your chili, you might get off with a warning ticket the first time, or you might do some jail time for it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Haha...im showing this thread to my wife so next time its all meat!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    Haha...I have to agree with the theory as far as my personal taste. I almost threw in a pound of bear as well.
    bear meat chili would be good, with beans
    :D i think the world assumes theres beans in chili, thats why canned chili without beans says "chili no beans" on the label
    :)) i like it with or without
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    i've been wanting to do chili but haven't because I don't have a dutch oven.  Didn't think about using my wok until now.  Good stuff.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I just did it because It seemed like it would work. It did!

• Did the handles provide extra smoky flavor?  Funny and looks tasty.  Great thread!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lets just say when I used the wok today. It only had metal handles lol.

• Mickey
    Jason I just wish I had thought of that for my big wok before I tossed it for non-use. You may have started a fad of using woks for DOs.

• I'm sure it's just me, but I'm not putting any tomato based food in my wok.  I know it's not cast iron, but my wok is so well seasoned that I'm not taking any chances.  Woks are for stir fry.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm sure it's just me, but I'm not putting any tomato based food in my wok.  I know it's not cast iron, but my wok is so well seasoned that I'm not taking any chances.  Woks are for stir fry.
    I was thinking the same thing - wondering what would happen to the seasoning.  I've never used it before for simmering soup-like dishes.  So how's the wok look post cook, jason?

• Im not a wok pro, but I got one for $6 so I dont care about it. When I get my wok from the cgs ill take care of it.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited November 2012
    Chili without beans is just spicy sloppy joe  That chili look great Joe.
    [-(

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Your chilli looks great, especially for never having made it before. I have been making chilli for about 40 + years experimenting and trying to improve on the recipe that my dad passed along to me from his family. So Tuesday night I started a batch and thought I would let it go overnight. It bubbled slowly for 15-1/2 hours. The extra time seemed to really infuse all the flavors together.
    Yours is the first that I have seen made in a wok. Just seems like their should be some "chilli fried rice" to go along with it. You know, once you start making this stuff, you are hooked, make some to take to work.........
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited November 2012
    I work for myself, so I guess I will! I am totally hooked on chilli now though! :))