Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks, Squash, and Cheese

Options
Fired the egg a couple of times this weekend, I think it was feeling lonely out in the NW rain. I cooked a grass fed sirloin tip steak for Saturday night. Now the caveat to this is I suck at cooking steaks prior to the egg. This one was pretty good, not the best I have had, but much better than I have made. As a side we did cook an outstanding side: Delicata squash, halved, filled with coconut oil and brown sugar. Oh, my goodness. Cooked the squash direct at 400 for 45 minutes. My wife said she could have eaten an entire squash just by herself and that "this is a side you serve when you have good company over." Pretty pleased with that one. She requested it again the next night as a side to the stew she made

Also smoked 7lbs of cheese. Tried this first when I made smoked mac and cheese, it is really easy, so I smoked 4 lbs of cheddar and then 2 lbs of habenero white cheddar. Smoking the habenero cheddar seemed to bring out the heat even more in the cheese, interesting.

Here is a picture of the cheese all finished up.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    How did you smoke the cheese? Sounds great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Invest in a Thermapen and it will make you a better steak cook....temperature is HUGE in getting the correct doneness of your steaks...also a quality cut of meat that sears/cooks well...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Cheese was extremely easy. Got the fire going just enough to get some coals, toss on some wood, add a platesetter, then turn the egg down so it barely is going. Put the cheese on at 60 degrees or so for about 45 minutes, pull and put in the fridge.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    What kind of wood did you use? Did you just put the block of cheese on the grate or did you put in something else?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    I put it on a small mesh pan looking thingy (technical term :) ). I used Oak personally, my wife absolutely loves it. We are almost out and will need to do another batch soon.