Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Table - Open vs. Closed

Options
A friend helped me build a very strong, large table for my LBGE a few weeks back, but it is ugly.  I want to enclose the unit, but he warns that it will be horrible with mildew and such, so I should not enclose it. I live in southeastern NC where it is often hot and humid.  We are also very close to the Intracoastal Waterway and our house backs up to a marsh that brings you to salt water.

What do you folks think?  Should I enclose it making it more attractive and keeping my cooking stuff dry, or should I let it all hang out?

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I see tables, both home-made and professionally made, that are designed both ways.  I haven't heard of regrets from having enclosed drawers or cabinets.  I'd think if you leave a cabinet or drawer table in the rain it can be a problem - you need to consider ventilation and drainage.  You don't want standing water in either design.
    Options
    You could always install properly placed vents to provide air circulation. Dammit Nola, I just read your response...beat me to it. Moisture isn't always a problem...just trapping it. You could also seal the interior.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I sealed everything on every side.  Yep, you want to encapsulate the wood so it doesn't absorb moisture and self-destruct, and you want to shed water and not trap it.  Xactly henapple.