Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Custom BGE Handle - DIY - Warning, pic heavy

Comments

• dscheyddscheyd Posts: 19
    handle looks great!  
    Where you at in NO?  I'm on the n shore.

• Why won't my computer let me see the pics??  The handles sound so interesting!
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,693
    @XLBalco - thanks man!

@yzzi - I used reclaimed swamp cypress from New Orleans houses.  The top, skirt and legs are pecky cypress, the bottom shelf regular cypress.  Pecky cypress has cavities made by a fungus in the wood.  I filled those in with resin.  Search pecky cypress table and you'll find my post on the build.

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nola, Very nice!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

dscheyd - I'm in Algiers Point.  Where on the North Shore?

@Steven - thanks man!  I'm not sure if I'm super happy, but then again, just wanted to check it off my list...at least until I get my CNC machine done, then I'll do a mona lisa.

• ParallelParallel Posts: 433
    Very cool.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Nice looking handle Nola.....put me on the waiting list please!
  • CDPlayaCDPlaya Posts: 81
    Awesome , dude put me on your order list as well. Reminds me of News with a Twist logo........
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • DondgcDondgc Posts: 360
    Wow.  Great craftsmanship! Impressive.
    New Orleans LA
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,830
    Nice Necro guys..  Why was @EggerinLA being a douche and flagging every post in this thread? 
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,013
    @Thatgrimguy ;
    This should explain it:

• Nice job, I'll take one.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • THEBuckeyeTHEBuckeye Posts: 4,044
    This is the good @nolaegghead

The Eddie Haskel version is lurking. B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DynaGlideDynaGlide Posts: 49
    edited October 2017
    This is an old thread but came up as top hit when doing a handle. @nolaegghead you sure are a jack of all trades. Festool MFT which means you have their other stuff. .plus metal working, and a Matco tool box which means you're probably a decent mechanic. 
    Weber Spirit E-210; Weber OTG 22.5" w/ Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 5,079
    Very nice. You do good work! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,830
    It was sexy the first time I saw it. Still is.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 5,671
    Awesome!  Nice work!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,037
    Gawjus work.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 5,414
    DynaGlide said:
    This is an old thread but came up as top hit when doing a handle. @nolaegghead you sure are a jack off. 

That's rude. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DuckDogDrDuckDogDr Posts: 692
    @nola really like that handle .. actually thought of doing a similar project myself .

question why does some jackwagon keep flagging your post .. nice craftsmanship and addition to the egg
  • bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,034
    Very nice!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Hans61Hans61 Posts: 3,412
    I like it when old threads randomly resurface:-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
    DuckDogDr said:
    @nola really like that handle .. actually thought of doing a similar project myself .

question why does some jackwagon keep flagging your post .. nice craftsmanship and addition to the egg
     Thanks.  Old post, old trolls.  egginLA loved to flag me.  No worries here, I am who I am.

I still have some of those cedar blanks.  I'll need to replace my LBGE handle at some point as it gets (like every handle) hammered with the lid open when grilling. 

Come to brisket camp in NOLA.  You will enjoy it. 

• As a fan of a more than struggling team (Vol fan here), I think a hobby such as this one to keep me sane during games isn't such a bad idea. Looks awesome!
  • DuckDogDrDuckDogDr Posts: 692
    @nolaegghead when is brisket camp
  • billt01billt01 Posts: 715
    @nolaegghead

if reasonable, i will purchase one from you..

they look good..

if you can reduce the font size I would like mine to read:

Their=They're
     "Don't listen to her, Bob.Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach."
                                                                                                     -Jane
                                                                                                     "Man and Superman"
    Have:
    LBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3), Blackstone 36

Had:
    Lang 60D, Cookshack SM150, Stumps Stretch, Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,296
    billt01 said:

if you can reduce the font size I would like mine to read:

Their=They're
    I don't think Nola could bring himself to do it.
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,476
    DuckDogDr said:
    @DuckDogDr - Oct 21st
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • Nice bacon. 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,498
    DMW said:
    DuckDogDr said:
    @DuckDogDr - Oct 21st
    How did you know that?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga