Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnight butt

Options
meturncl
meturncl Posts: 51
edited October 2012 in Pork
9lb pork shoulder tied up. I rubbed it down with mustard, salt and pepper, onion, garlic and cumin powder. Tried to keep the egg at 250 - 275 but the egg wanted to stay at 300. It cooked for 10 hours. Wrapped it in tin foil and threw it in a cooler. Need to control the temp a bit better next time. I'm asking for a guru for Xmas. Still tasted great.
Geaux Tigers

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Good looking grub. Just a question, the pic of the egg, are those the vent settings you ran with? My Lbge at 250 is shut a lot more than that

XLBGE 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Try Fast Butt at 325-350...wrap in foil at the 160 internal temp...cook until it reaches 190-200 internal...save the butt juice for when you pull the butt...you will be done in 5 hours or less...deeelicious...
  • meturncl
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse-  That picture was actually taken as I was closing down the egg. The temp reads right at 350. I closed it down much more than what the picture shows. This was my first attempt cooking a butt. @vidalia- thanks for the advice.  
    Geaux Tigers

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options
    I agree with mr cookingnurse. On my large the daisy is barely open and the bottom vent is about half closed.

I bought a party q as the pressure was killing me. :-) never looked back since.
    When in doubt add more pepper.