Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question re: CyberQ

733102243 Posts: 38
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone used a standard 'Radio Shack'type extension cable on the temp probes?

I want to mount the CyberQ in my garage which will require extensions for the probes and fan. Found the Fan extension but not the probes.

The run to the garage is about 20 feet w/o going through a wall.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It should work.  If the resistance from the extension cable changes the observed temp, you'll need to recalibrate with the extension cable in place.  Don't throw away your receipt if you buy a cable until you're sure it works.  If it doesn't, you might need to make your own cable with a heavier gauge wire like this http://www.newportus.com/ppt/TWSH.html   Probe cable isn't shielded, but 1/8" phone jack cable usually is - don't know if the impedance of the cable is going to be a factor. 
    Auber instruments sells K-type braided thermocouple wire for what it's worth.  Not sure if your unit uses thermistors or thermocouples.  Also, all the above caveats from Nola apply.
  • Thanks - I wondered about making my own - I guess some experimentation is in my future. Of course, I haven't asked BBQ Guru tech support yet.

One benefit to mounting in the garage is that it will be out of the weather - then all I have to worry about is the fan and daisywheel. And yes - it does rain in Southern California (October through May) - usually after detailing the cars or when planning to cook outside.

Nola - your link doesn't work but I can guess that it was a basic cable diagram.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    733102243 said:

Thanks - I wondered about making my own - I guess some experimentation is in my future. Of course, I haven't asked BBQ Guru tech support yet.

One benefit to mounting in the garage is that it will be out of the weather - then all I have to worry about is the fan and daisywheel. And yes - it does rain in Southern California (October through May) - usually after detailing the cars or when planning to cook outside.

Nola - your link doesn't work but I can guess that it was a basic cable diagram.

Sounds like a good plan.  Probably an ajax dynamically generated link (I'm such a geek).  It was a table of thermocouple wire based on thermocouple type.  And the company's thermocouple wire products.  You could probably get away with CAT5e cable.

If you have soldering gun, buy some male and female mono 1/8" phone jacks and solder some wire, make your own cables.  Not much of an investment, and I'm fairly certain it'll work.  If it does or doesn't, post and let us learn from your success or failure. ;)