Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning Mini Wok ?s

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I wasn't planning on getting a mini wok. We've got a wok for the large and it works just fine, but a super sweet Egghead on the other forum saw my new mini and since she sold her mini and had two woks sitting around getting no use, she sent one to me free of charge. I'm pretty sure it is the one from the WOK Shop that Mickey and others have. A wooden handle that can screw off, kinda looks like its got a curve on the handle that is perfect for sitting on the edge of the Egg. Came with a lid that also has a wooden handle that comes off.

This wok really needs to be reseasoned though. I was planning on scrubbing it down today when I got home (steel wool? sos pad?) and starting it from scratch, but what's the best way to reseason it? Should I do it on the large (so there is plenty of airflow around it)? On the mini? Or just stick it in an oven and stink up the whole house?

And once it is reseasoned, how do I use it on the Mini? What I mean is do I use the Woo ring or take that out. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    edited October 2012
    here you go Jason directly from the lady that owns the shop:

I did it on the mini, it's fine but you can use the large too. 
    Use it without the Woo it fits better, I asked the same question a while ago :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I have done it with and w/o the Woo and both work fine. As to seasoning, Gary will jump in soon or go to the Wok SHop web and get instructions. She sent mine seasoned as I just did not want to screw with it.You are going to enjoy it and with the small size don't forget you can fry easy as well.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I seasoned mine per the Wok Shop's instructions in my gasser to keep the odor outdoors.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Seasoning really just gets rid of the metallic taste in the metal.  It doesn't make it non-stick.  That comes from many cooks that you do with oil.  Even then, if you don't properly oil the wok prior to the cook, it can stick.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i always season pans upsidown, same with the wok in the egg. 2 or 3 light coats of lard, about 350, about a half hour between coats and shut it down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Should have worded this better and maybe included a picture. This wok is not seasoned that well, in fact, in some places there is no seasoning/color what so ever. Looks like it was hardly used at all, once, maybe twice. I would like to strip it down and start from scratch. What's the best way to strip it? SOS pad, sctoch bright pad, some type of cleaner/chemical? I didn't have time to mess with it yesterday, so I thought I would get opinions here before I get home this afternoon.

Rowlett, Texas

• fishlessman
    if the seasoning looked loose, sos would be fine or the scotch brite. now for the color, a wok seasoned can be black, it can even be a light straw color. if you see shiny grey its not seasoned. my stove top wok was a straw color for along time, its more a caramel color now, if done in the egg it will be black
    fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Partly shiny gray (bare metal) and partly straw color.

Rowlett, Texas

• Just my opinion.  Unless you have caked on food buildup, just keep on cooking with it.  Let wok get real hot, add peanut oil and swirl.  It will eventually turn black.  Your main purpose should be to not let the food stick, and the oil does that.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    i would say your good to go too, if your worried, heat it up and toss some bacon in there
    fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Got the new wok seasoned. gave it a brief scrub down and rubbed it with peanut oil, onto the large at 425-450 for 20 minutes and it looks great. Artur fried some greenonions for a few minutes and it looks good to go. Really want to use it, but the large is already hot, though short on lump. Not sure which egg i'll use for dinner.

Rowlett, Texas

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    pics or we don't believe you :) I was just looking at mine after i saw your post today and it could use some love, I keep it outside (covered) but the Georgia humidity does not help. Next project is to convince my wife to let me bring my metal pots inside  :) 
  • Griffin
    You'll have to wait till tomorrowe. I got some pics, but the wife is saying get off the computer and spend some time with me. Can't argrue with that.

Rowlett, Texas