Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mmmm beef back ribs

U_tarded
U_tarded Posts: 2,042
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I don't think beef ribs get the props they deserve. I always find racks that are super meaty at the local grocery store for super cheap 4-5$ for 4-5 bones and about 2.5-3 pounds.

Tonight I came across a rack 2.5 pounds nice and thick. Started the egg with about 4 mesquite chunks and let it settle in to about 300 (dome indirect) because it was getting late and I new I didn't have all night to wait on dinner. Rubbed with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder while the egg came up to temp/stabilized. Just over three hours and about a dozen Sams octoberfests this is the results. No spritzing no wrapping just set it and forget it. The simple joys of BBQ. Sorry no before pics I wasn't thinking about posting.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And they actually had a solid smoke ring something very hit or miss especially on beef for me.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    s.l.a.m.m.i.n'   :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I agree, beef ribs are under appreciated. Unfortunately, where I live, they tend to be over trimmed.  And when they do show up w. lots of meat, the price is much higher. But then they are so good, I'll grab them, and save 'em for a special meal.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    12 beers in three hrs we would get along great
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Hey UT, from SLC here.  Is the store you find good beef ribs at a chain that might also have a location up North?
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Those look great! The last rack I bought didn't have enough meat.
  • U_tarded
    MikeG said:

Hey UT, from SLC here.  Is the store you find good beef ribs at a chain that might also have a location up North?

Smiths (I think its a kroger brand like king supers) is actually where I get them. Harmon's may have them I don't go there often though except for some aged ribeye
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Thanks.  I shop at harmons but they are usually no good for beef ribs.  I'll check out Smith's.
  • U_tarded
    MikeG said:

Thanks.  I shop at harmons but they are usually no good for beef ribs.  I'll check out Smith's.

It's hit or miss at smiths it's the closet to my house I quick hit there. Harmon's is legit I dig the cheese monger
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Note to self. Pick up beef ribs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don' tthink they are under rated, I think that most places just trim the hell out of them to the point that they aren't worth cooking. I'd do them all the time if they didn't look like they came from anoerixic cows. Yours look spot on. Good job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• U_tarded
    Griffin said:

I don' tthink they are under rated, I think that most places just trim the hell out of them to the point that they aren't worth cooking. I'd do them all the time if they didn't look like they came from anoerixic cows. Yours look spot on. Good job.

I definitely agree on that most I see out there look better suited to make stock with than to actually attempt to eat.
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93

Those look fantastic, great job. 

Depending on where you live, I've seen some Excel branded beef ribs frozen in Safeway/Tom Thumb stores.  They are in the Excel, packer film still so they should be pretty meaty, haven't been further processed by anyone.  Excel is Cargill by the way.  There will be a USDA establishment number on these films.  As long as it doesn't read 86E or 86H you should be good.  Those are their West Texas plants.  Those plants are still trying to recover from the drought from a couple years back so their animals aren't getting beefed up as much as the midwest animals.  Therefore the ribs may not be as meaty as you want.

- EAT BEEF -
  • Any meat can be great when done correctly.  Good job with these, they do look good and meaty.  I normally don't do beef ribs because, like others have said, are normally too trimmed down.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    I saw these in my Local Publix and I thought I would give them a try.  It was like $7 for 4 ribs.  Mine were not as meaty as U_tarted's but I thought there was enough meat mixed with the fat to make them worth the effort.  I really enjoyed them.  Even though they are cut close to the bone, there is a good amount of meat between the bones.  One rib was plenty for an adult (so I ate two). 

Wish I had a better pic!  This is actually one of the less meaty ribs but the only pic that came out halfway decent (h8 iphone camera!). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.