Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini low/slow setup with a Party Q

Options
GLW
GLW Posts: 178
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

The wife and I went on our yearly fly-fishing trip last week and took along the mini.  I’ve used my homemade raised/indirect setup on several occasions for raised cooks but never a low/slow indirect and was skeptical on how it would work.  I hand selected my royal oak and packed it in up to the top of the fire ring along with 24 hour whiskey/water soaked pecan, cherry and hickory chips/chinks.  I used Bobby Flay’s pork rub four hours before the cook.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lit the lump and hooked up the PartyQ (with fresh batteries) and set it for 230.  You’ll notice on the one pic where the Q is registering only 74 degrees.  On my larger eggs I like to get the heat close to temp before installing the Party Q.  I decided on the mini I wasn’t going to ever let the lump get ahead of me as I wasn’t sure how long it would take to get the temp back down if I had a high overshoot which is very easy to do with a mini.  The highest I ever witnessed it getting was 241 and that didn’t last long.

The boneless pork butt was  3.6 pounds and I pulled it when the maverick indicated an internal temp of 195 after approximately 12 hours in the egg.  Let it set for a couple hours double foil wrapped and wrapped with a large beach towel. 

The wife thinks I’m a BBQ god!  I’m just glad I didn’t screw up our lunch.

imageHomemade rig

imageIndirect set up

imageStart

imageFinish

When in doubt add more pepper.

Comments

• rustypotts
    Options
    Great Job.  I'm trying to figure exactly how you have the raised grill set up.  How was the fishing?
  • GLW
    Options

RB<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The trout were spawning so fishing was a bit slow.  I’ll post a pic later today of a couple I caught.

I made this set up all from parts I found at Ace (excluding the pizza stone).  The three risers are 5” mending straps that I bent in my vise to the shape shown.  The grate rests on the straps are studs that are attached to the straps thorough the holes that were already in the straps.  The three risers go in between the fire ring and the egg wall basically setting on the firebox.  (double click on the second pic and I think you can see what I mean).  This is not my idea.  I saw a pic somehwere on the web that had some nice welded risers.  I dont weld so this is the best i can do.

The pizza stone is supported by the two 8” straps that sit on top of the fire ring.  Hopefully this all makes sense.  $15 worth of parts, a hammer and a vise is all you need.  Plus an 8.5 pizza stone that I got from amazon.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice job.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How did you get the party q to fit?
    Buy the Small/Mini adapter.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GLW
    Options
    A couple of the fish.  They'll be on the egg before the end of the week!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Very nice.  

^:)^
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx