Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egghead here... First meal on the egg

Options
SigP
SigP Posts: 25
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought my BGE Saturday. I've been doing some experimental cooking, mostly low heat stuff to season the gasket, but tonight I cooked my first complete meal on the Egg. It wasn't a big or complex meal - ribeye steaks with yellow squash and toasted french bread. Got a hot fire going and seasoned the squash and put it on. When they were about half way done, I kicked the heat up some more and put the steaks on. Got a good sear and let them cook. Took everything off and put the bread on, brushed with a little olive oil. Brought it all to the table and it seemed to be a hit.

Gotta say -- best cooking system I've ever had.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Sounds great. I bet it looked even better. Next time, pics or it didnt happen   :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Glad the first cook turned out great. You will find a wealth of information and tips on this forum. Make sure you post pics.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Unleashed from the low gasket break-in temperatures, your kamado culinary journey has, for the first time in your life, really begun.  All time thee spend on gassers and pathetic propane grills will be forgotten.   Welcome to the forum.  
    Options
    I will refrain from the obligatory, yet predictable comment about drinking the kool aid.  Not gonna do it..... 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options

Sounds great. I bet it looked even better. Next time, pics or it didnt happen   :ar!

+1. Was bummed not to see any pics!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, folks! I was too busy working on the cooking to take pics. But they will come in from future ventures. In fact, I have a brisket planned for the weekend. I will document it. 

Yep, I drank the kool aid and it was tasty. And this forum is truly a wealth of information. I hope to be a regular on here.