Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ground Burger

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up 2.5 lbs of brisket point and the same of Bottom Round Roast the other day. Course ground both together for meatloaf and chili this week. Unbelievable how much better fresh ground meat is compared to store bought ground beef. Bright red color, and you know exactly what cuts of beef you're eating. Wife got me a Dutch oven for our anniversary last week, so chili goes on in a few hours. :-)
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Yep, you'll be hard pressed to ever buy pre-ground meat again. Do large batches and vac seal them for later. The only time I buy ground beef is when I've run out (which I'm out of right now) Need to do another batch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

I just ground my own for the first time yesterday and quickly made smoked meatloaf with some of it!  I think i will be grinding my own from now on whenever possible.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Baysidebob
    Options
    +1 on grind-your-own.  We won't touch burger in a fast food joint anymore.  There is a local place that grinds their own chuck for burgers.  Very trendy at almost $20 for one lunch.  We'll pass.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Philicious
    Options
    What cuts do you guys grind for burger meat? I have a small grocery store near me that I think will grind me some.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Chuck roast is excellent.  We're trying to eat healthier so I usually grind sirloin.
    We buy a quarter cow every year and our local packing company cuts it up any way you want.  Vac sealed then froze.  Rarely ever eat beef out since.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @Philicious - here is a great article on different cuts of meat and what each one will bring to the table as fasr as taste and texture. I haven't tried their blue label burger blend, but have experimented a bit. I did a blend of chuck and short ribs that was probably my favorite to date. Good fat ratio and very flavorful. Haven't found my perfect blend yet, though. More experimenting to do.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings