Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Composite Table?!?!?

tillerman7tillerman7 Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Sorry to be a Johnny come lately... But I too have been considering building my BGE table out of a composite material.  That being said I wanted to see if anyone had issues with sagging?  It seems that if these decks can hold up hot tubs, that they should be able to hold a BGE.  Thoughts?  The top will be granite, just wanted to know about the weight on the composite...
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,667
    I would use structural composite lumber (SCL) for the structural elements.  The non-structural elements, like the decking, can use non-structural composites such as Trex.

·
  • Build with treated. Cover the treated with pvc skirt boards. I have composite, well pvc actually, on the lower shelf of the table.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • @cortguitarman:

So, do you have sag issues?
    ·
  • No. The frame is all wood. I build lots of decks with these materials. They can handle any load you're going to throw at them. The load is distributed to the frame. Just keep your supports at a max of 16" on center.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,667
    cortguitaman knows what he's talking about

·
  • OK, very cool.  Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page.  Do you have a particular type of composite that you like to use, or is that frowned upon here?
    ·