Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder Question

Options
Skydogg41
Skydogg41 Posts: 17
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooking a shoulder Saturday. Should I allow the same amount of time (1 hour per pound) as I do when I cook a Boston Butt? Any other tips that may be help full are appreciated. Probably cooking a 8-9 lb shoulder.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Need more detail. What temp are you cooking at. 225 dome will take a lot longer than 270 dome temp. Cook to internal temp of 200 to 205, not time. Unless you are going higher heat, 1 hour per pound is pretty quick. Most often it's 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
    Options
    What if I have 2 ten pound shoulders? How long should I cook and what temp
    - GO FROGS - 
  • Skydogg41
    Options
    Cooking probably around 225-250 dome...Is 270 too hot to cook the meat at?  I was always taught to cook around 200.  So is 1.5-2 hours a more realistic cook time?  Can you over cook it? if so what happens(dry out)?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Shoulder is a butt. The picnic and the butt make up the shoulder but if you have 8-9 pounds it is likely the butt. Picnic is the lower part of the foreleg above the shank or knee and has a conical shape.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    At 250 dome, 1.5 to 2 hours a pound is a good guess. Cook to an internal temp of 200 to 205. If it's bone in, the bone should pull out easily (fall off the bone). As long as you cook to temp you won,t over cook. Most dry pulled pork is undercooked. @evan - treat as 2 separate pieces. Don't be surprised if one finishes before the other. If so, wrap in foil and stick it in a cooler wrapped in towels and it will stay hot for hours.
    Options
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Skydogg41 said:
    Thanks Guys
    Nice screen name!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio