Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many pounds of pork to feed 40 adults?

Options
War_Eagle_2244
War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 122
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I’ll be smoking some butts for my nephew’s birthday party.  I’m planning on 40 adults but it’s probably more like 30-35.  How many pounds of shoulder should I get to feed 40 adults?  I was thinking probably 3 butts at 6-7 pounds each…18-21 pounds total.  Shouldn’t that fit on a large pretty easily?  TIA<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I figure 1/2 to 3/4 pound uncooked per person. 21 pounds for up to 40 adults should be fine. Have done three 9 - 10 pounders on a large with no problem. They were stuffed in pretty tight until they shrank, but turned out great. Looks like you are good to go. Let us know how they turn out.
    Options

Try this:

HOW MUCH MEAT?
    For pulled pork, a typical sandwich (or serving) is 4 oz of cooked meat. For adult males, you might want to plan on 2 sandwiches per person. For women and children, plan on one sandwich per person. The average butt loses about 40% of its weight while cooking. So, to get 6 pounds of cooked pork (24 sandwiches) you would need to start with 10 pounds of butt (2.4 servings per LB of uncooked meat). So a simple little formula is all you need:

Number of men (men or large eaters)= M
    Number of women and children (lighter eaters)= W
    Pounds of Butt to buy = B
    B=(2M+W)/2.4
    So if there 5 men and 5 women,
    B=(2*5+5)/2.4 =15/2.4 = 6.25 Pounds

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's some sexist math, man. 
    :))
    I eat more than my wife (drink more too) but she is way fatter than I am.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    @probe1957 I hope she doesn't read this forum :-)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Pork math.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!