Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat out Tasty

Options
Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
We did a brisket yesterday and it turned out to be the best one yet! 

This is the method we used for a 8.5 lbs flat:
It was rubbed with Cookshack Brisket Rub and put in a ziplock bag to rest in the fridge overnight. 

The next morning we fired up the Large BGE and rubbed it with black peppercorns ground up in the Molcajete.

Once the egg stabilized at 226° we put in on fat side down.

Once it got to 165° we took it inside and injected it with a beef broth, bouillon, Worcestershire, and black pepper mixture.

Bumped up the egg to 300° and put the brisket back on wrapped in foil. We checked it at 195° and the thermometer was not sliding in easy so wrapped it back up and checked it again at 205° and it was much better. 

Pulled it off and FTC for two hours. 

We went to the Farmer's Market and bought a bunch of Okra, I have never made grilled okra so I found a Steven Raichlen Recipe  I added grape tomatoes, sweet onion, and red bell peppers to the skewers. Turned out great but like green beans and asparagus it needs to be eaten right after pulling it off the grill. 

Pulled the Brisket out of the cooler and sliced it up.

The finished plate. 

Total cook time was 4 hours to hit 165°, 3 hours to get to 205°, and 2 hours FTC.

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Congrats on the home-run.  However you get there is a great journey!  I may have to give serious consideration to the foil-but I expend all efforts on the front-end.  Once in control of the BGE-I'm a minimalist.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Great post. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thanks guys! Also I forgot to put we used Hickory chunks and put washers under the drip pan to minimize burning..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.